Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung UE40MU6120 audio output

Options
  • 29-12-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

Quick question:

Got a new Samsung TV, first new TV in many many years so slightly surprised to see it doesn't have a 3.5mm audio output jack to connect to my trusty speaker set. Just has an optical audio output and RCA AV input bits.

Bought this today which I thought would solve it but just plugged it in and no use. Anyone have any tips on what kind of adapter I can use to plug a 3.5mm speaker cable into the TV?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

buy this, use the cable you bought already to connect between it and your 3.5mm audio jack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Toslink-Converter-Adapter-Optical-Black/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514548328&sr=8-1&keywords=spdif+to+3.5mm

if you want it quick you'll get something similar in maplin i'd suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Got a new Samsung TV, first new TV in many many years so slightly surprised to see it doesn't have a 3.5mm audio output jack to connect to my trusty speaker set. Just has an optical audio output and RCA AV input bits.

That adapter you bought should do the job, check the menu setting on the TV. It's possible that the default sound output is digital via the optical port, you need to change it to analog. I checked the Samsung manual for that model and as usual (for Samsung) the manual is completely useless - no pictorial diagram of the external connections.

For your setup, you should not have to buy the gadget suggested by poster mossym if the TV has RCA/phono audio 'out' ports.

coylemj wrote: »
    That adapter you bought should do the job, check the menu setting on the TV. It's possible that the default sound output is digital via the optical port, you need to change it to analog. I checked the Samsung manual for that model and as usual (for Samsung) the manual is completely useless - no pictorial diagram of the external connections.

For your setup, you should not have to buy the gadget suggested by poster mossym if the TV has RCA/phono audio 'out' ports.

Yeah, if the ports can be configured as outputs no need for the unit I linked to. OP said they were inputs though. Not too many TV's have a pair of phono outputs, not sine arc came along

mossym wrote: »
    Yeah, if the ports can be configured as outputs no need for the unit I linked to. OP said they were inputs though.

They're almost certainly output. You'd only ever see audio 'in' ports beside component video ports.
    Not too many TV's have a pair of phono outputs, not sine arc came along

I think there's still a requirement for phono out ports, typically for people with older AV equipment that doesn't support ARC. Like me.

They're almost certainly output. You'd only ever see audio 'in' ports beside component video ports.

I think there's still a requirement for phono out ports, typically for people with older AV equipment that doesn't support ARC. Like me.

now that i'm not on my phone a quick google shows a bunch of user reviews all saying this tv does not have analog audio outputs and a dac for the spdif output is needed.

the vast majority of users buying a uhd tv won't need phono ports. analog ports as a whole are disappearing almost completely. even the tv the op listed doesn't have standard analog inputs and needs adapters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Thanks for the help folks!

Came to the conclusion that I would indeed need a digital-analogue converter for those speakers to work and that it would probably be easier to just buy a digital/optical speaker. So I've just set up my new Samsung soundbar and now I find that it needs a separate remote to the TV to control the volume... and that there's no apparent way of matching these particular models of TV/soundbar to work on the one remote. Extremely first world problem, but still... Jesus wept.

the vast majority of users buying a uhd tv won't need phono ports. analog ports as a whole are disappearing almost completely. even the tv the op listed doesn't have standard analog inputs and needs adapters.

I was in a Currys/PC World the other day and looked at the back of a 32" Samsung where I spotted five phono ports for component video and analog audio input. There's still a lot of people out there with primitive (pre-HD) DVD players which output to component. My sister is one of them, she refuses to cough up 40-50 euros for a replacement DVD player with HDMI - 'sure the old one will do fine, isn't the picture grand?'. Which by the way, it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Component carries HD signal, just when you look to higher audio carrying it loses out to HDMI

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I was in a Currys/PC World the other day and looked at the back of a 32" Samsung where I spotted five phono ports for component video and analog audio input. There's still a lot of people out there with primitive (pre-HD) DVD players which output to component. My sister is one of them, she refuses to cough up 40-50 euros for a replacement DVD player with HDMI - 'sure the old one will do fine, isn't the picture grand?'. Which by the way, it is.

no offence, but i'm not even sure what point you're trying to make any more.

the "5 phono ports" are a single input, go back a few years you'd have had multiple analog inputs so like i said they are disappearing . i've no doubt there are still people using analog inputs. i mentioned they were disappearing to show it was unlikely tv makers were putting a set of phono audio outputs on a higher end UHD tv. i'd expect to find more audio inputs for a pc or composite input before i'd expect phono outputs. and they have largely disappeared from tv

the op's tv doesn't even have all the phono ports, they didn't even spare the space, if i remember the correct manual it has a single connector with a breakout cable.

but it's a UHD tv, very different to the 32" samsung. pretty sure all the 32" are still not even made by samsung and are made by vestel in turkey who also make the panasonic and other makes smaller screens.

slave1 wrote: »
    Component carries HD signal, just when you look to higher audio carrying it loses out to HDMI

yup, my first hdtv was a 48" rear projection CRT which only had component inputs, that was 15 years ago, thing was huge, weighed over 200lbs, bought it while living in the US and brought it back with me as company was paying for the move, built a pc here to take the analog svideo output from a sky box, convert it from pal to ntsc , upscale to 1080i and output over component, meaning i used it for another 2 or 3 years here.

component's end though was when they started limiting it's output with HDCP. you couldn't send the hd signal, or even a progressive signal any more . 480i or 576i only. i still have a few sets of cables in the attic somewhere. the first avr i had was a denon 3803 which had 3 component inputs switched to a single output.

• Advertisement
Advertisement