Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating 1990s home.

Options
  • 28-12-2017 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have a 2700 sq ft 2 storey house which is freezing the windows and doors are not fit for purpose and we have received quotes to do so but I was talking to an architect friend and said that we should look at external insulation at the same time.
    Has anyone any advice on this as to cost and benefit and whether it will be worth it.
    House is heated with oil and a solid fuel stove currently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

How is your house losing its heat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bringing a house up to a decent insulation spec is multi faceted.

You can go the whole hog and get alot done which is expensive.

You can get some done to bring in some comfort which will cost less.

Not every approach fits all.

Easy things to do and cost effective

Change the windows .get the attic insulated and get the walls pumped. You can get grants for walls and attic.windows 10k walls 800, attic 600

If you want to go the whole hog.

Windows , walls pump external insulation and attic done. €€€. Windows 10k. Wall pump 800 . External insulation 14-16k attic 600.

It depends on what you want to spend but you can get some comfort doing the simple things. It may not be value for money to go the whole hog. Look up grants available

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fleecer84

MicktheMan wrote: »
    How is your house loosing its heat ?

Well mainly we would have said through the windows and doors it’s so evident lots of heat is being lost there that I hadn’t considered the walls as a problem but again it’s a House that was built in the 60s and extended to 2700 sq ft in the mid 90s so presumably the walls are poorly insulated.

If I changed the windows in the coming months which will cost 12500 will that effect my ability to externally insulate?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fleecer84 wrote: »
    Well mainly we would have said through the windows and doors it’s so evident lots of heat is being lost there that I hadn’t considered the walls as a problem but again it’s a House that was built in the 60s and extended to 2700 sq ft in the mid 90s so presumably the walls are poorly insulated.

If I changed the windows in the coming months which will cost 12500 will that effect my ability to externally insulate?

It will not. But it's always suggested to externally insulate at same time as windows so windows can be installed inside the new insulation layer preventing thermal bridging. It's the recommended method.

But no you are not tied to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Has anyone any advice on this as to cost and benefit and whether it will be worth it.

The best advice I can give you and the reason I asked the question is before you spend tens of thousands on stuff, spend a fraction of this on having the house properly assessed and tested for its real heat loss mechanisms and then decide what to spend where.

• Advertisement
Advertisement