Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What else to do ?

Options
  • 28-12-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I only really drink for others , constantly getting invited out to the pub (makes me sound really sociable!) you know what I mean though , friends acquaintances neighbours etc. " fancy a pint " or "we have to get the pint in" or whatever , wife says I'm been really unsociable to the point of ignorance but I just don't enjoy "the sessions" I will have one pint of Guinness occasionally like maybe every 6 months but one is not enough for most people and they start putting pints in front of you and I hate that.

Wife thinks I should go out with a neighbour its only once a year she says just go for a few pints with him your been rude.

I don't want to go and have a session , most blokes aren't going to want to have 1 pint and go home and I don't fancy sitting there having a few cokes either. I've been thinking about what else to do with people that ask me out for a pint but have very few ideas. I could say I don't drink but I'd be lying and I don't like lying cause it comes back eventually , anyone in similar boat or can think of alternative activities , god this country and attitude to drink really sucks and it's annoying. Your made feel weird if you don't drink to excess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

This made me laugh a bit, thanks for that!
    But I have to say that I agree with you and probably the truth is the best lie, but then you'd be "that guy", so maybe instead of a pint, try and take them to a game of pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

rosmoke wrote: »
    This made me laugh a bit, thanks for that!
    But I have to say that I agree with you and probably the truth is the best lie, but then you'd be "that guy", so maybe instead of a pint, try and take them to a game of pool?

I did suggest this but there is a pool table in the pub , honestly I went out last year and the guy start buying me whiskeys cause it was christmas , I am a keen runner and run most days I think because I'm thin and exercise a lot a few pints knocks me for six.

I said to the wife its akin to me taking one of these lads for a 1 mile run and saying come on one more mile till they have run a marathon , i'll be fine the next day but they be in bed for the day same thing if they feed me pints all night.

There are not many activities to do , if you suggest a walk , game of tennis , run etc they'd look at you like you've ten heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I did suggest this but there is a pool table in the pub , honestly I went out last year and the guy start buying me whiskeys cause it was christmas , I am a keen runner and run most days I think because I'm thin and exercise a lot a few pints knocks me for six.

I said to the wife its akin to me taking one of these lads for a 1 mile run and saying come on one more mile till they have run a marathon , i'll be fine the next day but they be in bed for the day same thing if they feed me pints all night.

There are not many activities to do , if you suggest a walk , game of tennis , run etc they'd look at you like you've ten heads.

Hi OP,

I'm in the exact same boat as yourself. All my mates, workmates etc don't really bother doing anything else bar go to the pub. Sadly this country will never leave the clutches drink has on it. As the years go by I find myself spending more and more time sat at home just to get away from the drink.

I quite enjoy things like jet skiing, quad biking, power boating etc but when I propose it to my friends they say stuff like "thats the same as 12 pints" or "I 'd have no money left for gargle after"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Same boat here but was never a big drinker I think it's different for women it's accepted more if you don't drink but lads just can't get the concept that some people can take it or leave it. As i was saying to the OH who's sober nearly 8 months now that it must be hard to have any kind of social life. Women will meet in a cafe during the day, men don't usually meet up for lunch unless it involves a few pints with it. I learnt long ago not to care what other people think, learn to say no. Maybe have a talk with the wife and explain how you feel about it if she can't accept it that will be her issue to deal with not yours. Many women would love to have a guy that's not coming home pissed as a newt every weekend. This country still revolves around drink so it's all up to you to put your foot down. It's your body if you're into a healthy lifestyle and want to look after yourself no one can dictate to you. I think one reason I don't get pressured by it is because people automatically assume I'll be their designated taxi for the night. I've put my foot down there especially over Xmas I didn't drink but still refused to play taxi. Why should I, at least by not committing to anyone I had the freedom to choose wether I'd like a drink that night or not. Sometimes we have to do what's best for ourselves don't worry about pleasing others I'm sure people wouldn't appreciate if you tried to talk them or force them in to going for a run if it wasn't their thing so they've no right to do the same. It's not easy I know and evenings especially in winter when the weathers so crap can be hard to fill in. Do what makes you feel comfortable why sit there miserable just to please other people and hey if you do feel like a night out let them buy you drinks if they want just order yourself what you'd like if they want to waste their money let them, they'll soon learn. If they can't accept you as a person who can take it leave a drink then are they that shallow and if so are they worth hanging out with in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Hardly drink at all and quite health conscious in recent times. I go to the pub with drinkers and have diet 7ups all night, have had great and late nights, took a bit of getting used to but no looking back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 newinvestor

I only really drink for others , constantly getting invited out to the pub (makes me sound really sociable!) you know what I mean though , friends acquaintances neighbours etc. " fancy a pint " or "we have to get the pint in" or whatever , wife says I'm been really unsociable to the point of ignorance but I just don't enjoy "the sessions" I will have one pint of Guinness occasionally like maybe every 6 months but one is not enough for most people and they start putting pints in front of you and I hate that.

Wife thinks I should go out with a neighbour its only once a year she says just go for a few pints with him your been rude.

I don't want to go and have a session , most blokes aren't going to want to have 1 pint and go home and I don't fancy sitting there having a few cokes either. I've been thinking about what else to do with people that ask me out for a pint but have very few ideas. I could say I don't drink but I'd be lying and I don't like lying cause it comes back eventually , anyone in similar boat or can think of alternative activities , god this country and attitude to drink really sucks and it's annoying. Your made feel weird if you don't drink to excess.

Went tee total won't miss the handful of pints I had a year , life is easier now just telling people I don't drink

I should add though my wifes reaction was "it's easy to give up drinking when you only have a couple of pints a year" she said try give up chocolate or chinese (i'm partial to a Friday night takeaway!) well I took up the challenge and took it one step further saying if I go vegan for January she would have to run a parkrun (she hates running!) anyway first couple of weeks were hard mainly because I had to find food alternatives trying out different milks etc and meat free dishes , I feel a lot better on the vegan diet and have decided to go vegetarian for the year. the point of my rant is having the little challenge with the wife really helped keep me vegan for the month , maybe its something people can do with there partners

Advertisement