Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sexual health anxiety

Options
  • 28-12-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey Guys... so to cut a long story short I had an encounter with a guy a few weeks back. Without wanting to be overly graphic no oral / penetrative sex but lot of skin to skin contact, kissing etc. I know it's fairly low risk with regard to STI exposure but really played on my mind & became very anxious about it all.

Went to my GP & got tested at just past the 3 week mark. All apparently ok but the syphilis test did come back reactive with a reading of 1. The much younger me did have the unfortunate experience of having syphilis good few years back for which I was fully treated at the time. As I understand it you will almost always still show a reactive test once you have had it once in your lifetime & the GP inferred that a reading of between 0 and 1 was considered negligible & suggested re-testing in a few weeks. Was kind of ok with that but then ended up with a very small mouth ulcer (which I think did happen when I bit my tongue) but that totally ramped up my anxiety on the issue despite GP saying it didn't appear to be anything to worry about. I'm due to re-test in the new year but anxiety really taken over with me over the holidays & really having a difficult time of it.

Basically just wondering from anyone who might be better informed on the subject if they could offer some reassurance that the reading would typically be higher than 1 after around 24 days if it were an active infection? Or alternately that a reading of 1 would not be surprising a few years after treatment i.e. is non-active? Fully appreciate this is something I'll get the definitive answer to from my GP & will be going down this route but another week of stress feels like a real test right now so any constructive feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    A stressed idiot!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hi DJ, unfortunately and for good reason, we cannot dispense with medical advice here on Boards. I would suggest you refer back to your GP again as requested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement