Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys in-store advertisement

Options
  • 28-12-2017 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭

I went into Currys Naas this morning looking to get a television and saw that they had a price match promotion advertisement on nearly every large tv and appliance in the shop. On further inspection I noticed that this advertisement stated that they would price match on any price in any major UK electrical goods shop. I decided I would chance my arm and found the tv I wanted online on a UK website and pointed out the price which was €100 cheaper and their advertisements claiming they would match a UK shop. The sales assistant said that they were a UK company so the advert was only valid in the UK. My argument was it shouldn't be advertised in an Irish shop that they would match a UK store and it was false advertising. I got my tv in Harvey Norman in the end as they had a better deal.

I'm not too butthurt over it or anything but I'm interested what are peoples opinion on this when it's advertised maybe 100-150 times in the shop?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You would have to check the small print to be sure of the exact details really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Cazale wrote: »
    I went into Currys Naas this morning looking to get a television and saw that they had a price match promotion advertisement on nearly every large tv and appliance in the shop. On further inspection I noticed that this advertisement stated that they would price match on any price in any major UK electrical goods shop. I decided I would chance my arm and found the tv I wanted online on a UK website and pointed out the price which was €100 cheaper and their advertisements claiming they would match a UK shop. The sales assistant said that they were a UK company so the advert was only valid in the UK. My argument was it shouldn't be advertised in an Irish shop that they would match a UK store and it was false advertising. I got my tv in Harvey Norman in the end as they had a better deal.

I'm not too butthurt over it or anything but I'm interested what are peoples opinion on this when it's advertised maybe 100-150 times in the shop?
    Report it to the advertising standards agency www.asai.ie. It's a voluntary code but it's rulings are usually stuck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

irishgeo wrote:
    Report it to the advertising standards agency

Yeah I might do that. I wouldn't have even bothered but the managers solution to the misleading advert was to ask me if I had any UK relatives who could get me one cheaper!

Advertisement