Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.5 litres of prosecco at Supervalu for €20!

Options
  • 28-12-2017 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭

I know very little about wine/prosecco/etc but this is meant to be good value.
    It's at Supervalu in the morning.(Thursday)
    26000883_958689937629130_7221273190666108414_n.jpg?oh=2cbd95c05be249dfe6bb454538b6f55f&oe=5ACB7AE1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I know very little about wine/prosecco/etc but this is meant to be good value.
    It's at Supervalu in the morning.(Thursday)
    26000883_958689937629130_7221273190666108414_n.jpg?oh=2cbd95c05be249dfe6bb454538b6f55f&oe=5ACB7AE1

You can get 2x 750ml bottles in O'Briens for less than that. Saying that the bottle would be great for sticking loose change in.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

SuperValu have Grifon Prosecco constantly on sale at €9 for .75L, and it's quite acceptable for cheap bubbles but thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

These were there over Christmas as I got one for Christmas Day. It was fairly fizzy as opposed to the screw top ones but was very very sweet! If you had a load of people and were doing a new year toast would be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Lidl are doing theirs for €3.99 a bottle this weekend. Works out far cheaper than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

prinzeugen wrote: »
    You can get 2x 750ml bottles in O'Briens for less than that. Saying that the bottle would be great for sticking loose change in.

Yes but is it good prosecco?

I'm not a prosecco drinker myself, but the wife swears that the one sold in Lidl (with the cork top) is the best prosecco available for the money.

I've gotten her various bottles elsewhere over the years, many which were much more expensive - but she still insists the rest taste of chemicals and lidls is of a far superior quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dial Hard wrote:
    Lidl are doing theirs for €3.99 a bottle this weekend. Works out far cheaper than this.

I'd predict they won't have huge stocks and that what is there won't be aroung long.

Still going to try to nab a few though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My understanding is that it’s a Spumante prosecco, rather than a frizzante prosecco. This means that it is fully sparkling rather than the semi-sparkling style of frizzante. You could argue it’s a better made prosecco.

bladespin wrote:
    I'd predict they won't have huge stocks and that what is there won't be aroung long.

They'd absolutely loads in my local store last time they did this special. Limited to one box per customer but a friend of mine who only drinks prosecco got several boxes by simply dropping one box to the car then going back in for another one and going to a different till each time. She also went to about three different stores and did the same thing.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They'd absolutely loads in my local store last time they did this special. Limited to one box per customer but a friend of mine who only drinks prosecco got several boxes by simply dropping one box to the car then going back in for another one and going to a different till each time. She also went to about three different stores and did the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tesco Finest Prosecco was 6 for 45.50 (50.00 pre discount) before xmas, wonder is it still on up to new years?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Rick Shaw wrote: »

I'm not a prosecco drinker myself, but the wife swears that the one sold in Lidl (with the cork top) is the best prosecco available for the money.

I've gotten her various bottles elsewhere over the years, many which were much more expensive - but she still insists the rest taste of chemicals and lidls is of a far superior quality.
    I agree with your wife and im delighted im not the only one who thinks so! The lidl one has a lovely honey aftertaste!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

which one is that, don't think it's the one on sale for 3.99 this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

mystic86 wrote: »
    which one is that, don't think it's the one on sale for 3.99 this weekend?

In Lidl there are two types of prosecco on sale, the pine with the mushroom type top on it is the one your looking for (cork) the screw top one is cheaper of the two (and muck apparently)

Rick Shaw wrote:
    In Lidl there are two types of prosecco on sale, the pine with the mushroom type top on it is the one your looking for (cork) the screw top one is cheaper of the two (and muck apparently)

It's not muck at all, I actually prefer it.

I've been to Treviso for rugby matches loads of times and according to the locals the stuff in Stelvin-capped bottles is generally superior to that in the cork-topped bottles. Can't for the life of me remember why and I've no idea if it holds true for exports, but the idea that the screw-cap stuff is cheap muck here is generally just an assumption based on very little other than the idea that a Stelvin cap somehow equals an inferior product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Dial Hard wrote:
    They'd absolutely loads in my local store last time they did this special.
    Absolutely bang on, loads of stock this afternoon, btw the screw cap stuff is very nice (got a bottle last year as a gift).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

How the bottle is sealed tells you how fizzy it is basically. This one will be very fizzy. Smaller corks or screw cap tend to be less fizzy.

Also look at the alcohol content. (Same with any wine). The higher the % the better made it is. I would not touch prosseco that is less than 10.5/11%.

The general rule is the lower % = more sulphates (preservatives) Also bottles like this need less sulphates as less of the wine is in contact with the air.

Advertisement