Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 28-12-2017 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Not/wasn't an alcoholic but need to give it up as it is ruining my life. I hope to frequent this forum alot now and see how I get on.

Anyone tried non alcoholic beers? Any of them taste anything atall like actual beer? Any tips how to cope with boredom when id usually be in the pub in the evening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭tinpib

Start by reading other threads on the non-drinkers forum, you aren't the first person to ask these questions so there are lots of suggestions online and it should also give you comfort in that you are not alone and probably lots of people have gone through the same thinking as yourself.

In the early stages of this, my 4th time giving up permanently, I spent a lot of time reading about not drinking, alcoholism, the stopdrinking subreddit, docs on youtube, the show 'Intervention' etc.

So I wasn't training for triathlons, learning a new language/instrument/hobby or anything like that.

But that was just me and just this time around. Everyone is different, as you will see from this forum and the links here and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

For some the non-alco drinks are a danger zone, for others a good option/substitute for reg drinks--all depends on your own experience.

I avoid them as they do contain some alcohol, albeit minute, and I cannot drink alcohol anymore as I am allergic to it.

Best of luck anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not/wasn't an alcoholic but need to give it up as it is ruining my life. I hope to frequent this forum alot now and see how I get on.

Anyone tried non alcoholic beers? Any of them taste anything atall like actual beer? Any tips how to cope with boredom when id usually be in the pub in the evening

It's great you've recognised it's causing you problems. But look at the way you spend your evenings and your routine, you might need to change your whole lifestyle starting from scratch. I'm not a drinker maybe a couple of times a year and usually when in the pub I don't drink so unless you really like the company you are in it's very boring to be honest. I rarely go to one now that my OH is off it (7 months) he still admits that if he went the boredom would get to him so he simply doesn't go it tempts fate and it's too soon. We go sometimes in the morning or an afternoon for breakfast or lunch but to a table not up at the bar. He knows he can't go out at night with the lads and he knows from experience non alcoholic beer is pointless he'd be back on the real stuff in no time because he'd of put himself in the same situation all over again. No point in making it harder for yourself I'm afraid you might have to change your routine and unfortunately maybe some of your friends, it's a time when you find out who your true friends are and who just want you there so they don't have to drink alone. There's so much help out there if you're in the bray area maybe try the BCAT centre, they will have a chat with you even if you are still drinking and work with you to make a practical plan and give you the support and back up too. AA meetings can help but sometimes a person needs to feel more on level ground before they talk in a group. Not knocking it though but maybe it's another option you can consider.

Advertisement