Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitachi ex60 -1234 or 5

Options
  • 27-12-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks.
    I'm thinking of selling up my old 12t machine as I've no use for a large digger anymore.
    I've had it for 20 years & it owes me nothing but it's too big for what I'm at now.
    So I'm looking at buying a smaller machine like the ex60 or similar. so I'm wondering what model to go for or avoid.
    I've looked on here but seem to get mixed opinions. Also best place to buy?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

All delends on your budget. Dash 1s are making good money for export and not as refined as the later ones... Cabs suffer badly from tin worm, there is a man/crowd in Donegal making a direct fit replacement cab.. The dash 2s were 93/94/95 era, so the youngest are 24 years old now... Not to much experience of them, a friend has one and is happy with it. The dash 3 are 95/96/97 era, we have a dash 3... Have it about 14/15 years. We bought it to replace a 580c and find it much handier quicker and easier transport. The 580 was to big to keep in a shed during winter etc. The 60 mightent be in all winter or every winter but i try and get it in when possible. We would have about 2500 hrs on it since we got it and its been reliable. The dash 5 was a more modern design, however the move from 45mm pins (-1,2,3) to 50mm pins (-5) was a drawback as no longer could the more widely available Jcb 3cx buckets couldnt be used.

I'm biased but id say a dash 2 or 3 is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Oddball 5

All delends on your budget. Dash 1s are making good money for export and not as refined as the later ones... Cabs suffer badly from tin worm, there is a man/crowd in Donegal making a direct fit replacement cab.. The dash 2s were 93/94/95 era, so the youngest are 24 years old now... Not to much experience of them, a friend has one and is happy with it. The dash 3 are 95/96/97 era, we have a dash 3... Have it about 14/15 years. We bought it to replace a 580c and find it much handier quicker and easier transport. The 580 was to big to keep in a shed during winter etc. The 60 mightent be in all winter or every winter but i try and get it in when possible. We would have about 2500 hrs on it since we got it and its been reliable. The dash 5 was a more modern design, however the move from 45mm pins (-1,2,3) to 50mm pins (-5) was a drawback as no longer could the more widely available Jcb 3cx buckets couldnt be used.

I'm biased but id say a dash 2 or 3 is your best bet.

Thanks for reply.
    My first track machine was a 580c🙈 so had to learn all over again when we sold her.
    She did an honest day's work and trained me to put tracks back on in 5 mins😂.

Yeah I hear lads saying the dash 1's are not the nicest to drive so I'll pass on dash 1.

What do you kno about some of them having duel or single pumps?
    What has your -3?
    Don't like the idea of not being able to work the jib when tracking.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Single pump on the 60s. The same for the 100s. The 120 then has a dual pump

Single pump on the 60s. The same for the 100s. The 120 then has a dual pump

Ah ok. I was told wrong so.

Have you a blade on your -3?
    I like the idea of having the blade but most for sale don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

My vote is - 5 after having one for near 12 yrs with 0 issues.
    Takeuchi is another cracker of a machine worth considering.

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    My vote is - 5 after having one for near 12 yrs with 0 issues.
    Takeuchi is another cracker of a machine worth considering.

Thanks for reply.
    Is there much difference between the -3 & 5 apart from being a younger machine?
    There all big money these days but the -5 seem to be silly money on done deal anyway. Is there anywhere else to look at buying one or is there money to be saved by looking in uk?
    Would you recommend a blade or not?
    Thanks

Oddball 5 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.
    Is there much difference between the -3 & 5 apart from being a younger machine?
    There all big money these days but the -5 seem to be silly money on done deal anyway. Is there anywhere else to look at buying one or is there money to be saved by looking in uk?
    Would you recommend a blade or not?
    Thanks

-5 is regarded as a superior machine all round. The - 3 whilst you may be lucky can have electrical gremlins that will get you very frustrated.
    Do not get one without a blade in my opinion, great addition and surprisingly useful but don't confuse it and think it's a dozer as 360 tracks, chains, sprockets and idlers aren't designed for dozer work.
    I don't know of you'll get much value in the UK as construction equipment like dumpers and excavators are in higher demand than here usually.
    You could check out the auctions but they can be luck of the draw as well.
    An excavator is something I'd buy from a dealer or having known it's background of you don't know much about them.

-5 is regarded as a superior machine all round. The - 3 whilst you may be lucky can have electrical gremlins that will get you very frustrated.
    Do not get one without a blade in my opinion, great addition and surprisingly useful but don't confuse it and think it's a dozer as 360 tracks, chains, sprockets and idlers aren't designed for dozer work.
    I don't know of you'll get much value in the UK as construction equipment like dumpers and excavators are in higher demand than here usually.
    You could check out the auctions but they can be luck of the draw as well.
    An excavator is something I'd buy from a dealer or having known it's background of you don't know much about them.

Yes i hear the -3's have there electrical problems with the throttle but can be replaced with a manual cable or is there more problems that you kno of??
    I've searched the forums and can't find any major difference between -3 & -5 apart from more reliable electrics. Please correct me if I'm wrong but why are they regarded a superior machine?
    Don't get me wrong, I'd sooner go for a fresher -5 but by the looks of things my budget might not allow me.

Also, anyone know what my one machine might be worth. Ballpark!!
    She's 89 I think jcb 812. 6 cylinder Perkins
    She likes bit of heat in mornings but always starts. She's in fair condition for age, all glass in cab, servos, she tired but still does a good days work. Slow on the tracks but thay all are!! Good power and will still out lift most fresher machines in her class.
    Semi q hitch and set of 3 buckets.
    Thanks again for replys

I don't have a book with specs but the -5 in all sizes were and are in more demand.
    The lads with more experience than me told me to go with a - 1 or - 5 when I was shopping.
    I'd be guessing your existing machine be worth around 10k, anything that starts, moves and can dig is worth that.
    What's your budget?
    If I was going again I'd try a Takeuchi.

I don't have a book with specs but the -5 in all sizes were and are in more demand.
    The lads with more experience than me told me to go with a - 1 or - 5 when I was shopping.
    I'd be guessing your existing machine be worth around 10k, anything that starts, moves and can dig is worth that.
    What's your budget?
    If I was going again I'd try a Takeuchi.

I was hoping to get one for around 14k but I've not looked at anything yet so not sure what that will get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭somofagun

Sold my EX60-3 last week and missing her already. Need to replace it with something similar but there is very little about. Has the export market started to move again?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

somofagun wrote: »
    Sold my EX60-3 last week and missing her already. Need to replace it with something similar but there is very little about. Has the export market started to move again?

Started to move??? Haha its been in near full flow for the past 20 months. It's basically robbed the country of lots of second hand stuff that could be kept working with a little tlc. It has had a dramatic effect on second hand prices here and its definitely not in the buyers favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Does anyone no where i would get a clean ex60-3 ish for reasonably money?ive seen everything on done deal!! Cheers

Advertisement