Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottage Renovation roof support query - Structural design needed

Options
  • 27-12-2017 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey folks

I'm renovating a 1970s cottage type house (9x8m footprint) that has a spine wall all along the middle of the house under the ridge board. The roof is slated.

The pitched roof has truss spans of 5.5m on each side (44x175mm on 600mm centers) up to a ridge board (44x225mm). There are ties every 1200mm.

I want to knock the spine wall and add purlins to support the roof and transfer all the load to the gable walls and internal supporting walls. This will open up the space inside the building.

I've gotten a design done up by a structural engineer that seems excessive and I want a second opinion. Is there any architectural technician in the Limerick area that you could recommend to do up a structural design? Im not even sure the spine wall is supporting the roof at all but I need some expert to advise me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

An Architectural technician is no good, they're not qualified to do the calculations and won't have the P.I. insurance to stand over it. By all means get a second independent engineer to do a second design but it must be and engineer.

Advertisement