Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H Samuel on Grafton street closing down - 50% off all marked prices

Options
  • 26-12-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Super bargains to be had - 50% off everything including jewellery (diamonds/gold etc) and watches (citizen, seiko, bulova and others).

Wifey picked out a diamond and sapphire ring for 270, I got a citizen automatic for 135...

Bargain!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Surprising they don't move the stock to another one of their stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

The online store also has 50% off.
    Probably not closing down at all just a scam to move the tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Will you stop there's a place not far from me that's had about 7 closing down sales in the last 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Just had a look - that's one of those "up to 50% off" sales that always occurs.

Apparently the employees themselves only found out a few week ago - this is the genuine closing down fire sales.

You're right that it's surprising they didn't move the stock elsewhere (or back to the UK) - but you never know - it could be a franchise operation instead of company branch.

Put it this way - this is 50% off Everything - including clearance and heavily discounted items. Mum got a ring that was expensive at original price of 1200 euro, but a bargain at 250 (had been 500 in sale prior to 50% off).

She got some Disney ceramic figurines for 4.50 euro (from 9 euro clearance price).

This is a genuine deal for people who need anything the store has. They had 9ct gold earrings for 38 euro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Stand corrected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Almost certainly a rebrand to Signet Jewellers - that's higher end brand from same company

Also owns Zales & Kays jewellers in USA.

Signet have an outlet in Kildare village. H Samuel just doesn't suit grafton Street

As for moving stock - margins in the jewellery business like h Samuel is huge. Even at 50% off they will not be losing and the logistics of transferring stock is a nightmare. Far easier to clear it out

Didn't they do a similar "closing down" sale when they rebranded from Ernest Jones to H Samuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We bought our wedding rings from HS in Belfast and collected them in Dublin. It saved me €300.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Almost certainly a rebrand to Signet Jewellers - that's higher end brand from same company

Also owns Zales & Kays jewellers in USA.

Signet have an outlet in Kildare village. H Samuel just doesn't suit grafton Street

As for moving stock - margins in the jewellery business like h Samuel is huge. Even at 50% off they will not be losing and the logistics of transferring stock is a nightmare. Far easier to clear it out

Didn't they do a similar "closing down" sale when they rebranded from Ernest Jones to H Samuel

Thanks for the info - you're right that H. Samuel is a little out of place on Grafton alongside Bereton and Boodles etc. Fields might fall into the same category then.

As for margins - I know all about that in the jewellery business :D - sure diamond is just pencil "lead" rearranged in a more uniform manner, emerald/sapphire/ruby etc aluminium oxides of some kind or another. But hey if it gets me into the extra good books with the Missus I'm happy.

One general tip I give to friends interested in purchasing gold is to go to China (other places may be even better). In China they sell gold jewellery by weight - the "design" cost is a pittance - around 5-10 euro. There's a straight 20% margin on the spot price of gold on that particular day. Flipside is they only sell 24k jewellery as 9/18k is seen as "not gold" :P - still I could have bought a gold chain in China and sold it for scrap gold in Ireland and get my purchase price back.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I just got a Citizen Eco-drive reduced from €410 to €99 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Any offers on smart watches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

do you have to go into bricks n mortar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

do you have to go into bricks n mortar ?

No it's Grafton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I didn't see any when i was there

Smart watches all sold out. Fantastic bargains to be had though, thanks op.

Got some watches.
    Got a sekonda was 370 for 135.

Closing on the 31/12/17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I nearly bought a Citizen Eco-Drive only to realize that it's cheaper on Amazon even after 50% off.

Few good bargains especially on items that were already reduced. Not so great on full priced on. Check what you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Sale still on today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Sale still on today?

Yes till 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Got some watches.
    Got a sekonda was 370 for 135.

Closing on the 31/12/17

Never ever saw a sekonda watch for €370 !

blingrhino wrote: »
    Never ever saw a sekonda watch for €370 !

Apologies...it's a Seiko!

• Advertisement

Out of the watches they stock I'd recommend looking at Seikos, Citizen, Bulova and Casio (G-Shocks)... the rest wouldn't be particularly well regarded by watch collectors but if something grabs your fancy then by all means go ahead.

I'd second the checking prices elsewhere - I priced a Seiko and even at 50% off it wouldn't be comparable to online prices.

Advertisement