Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking from Glencree to Enniskerry?

Options
  • 25-12-2017 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I am looking to walk from Glencree to Enniskerry. Is it safe to walk along the L1011? It seems to be the most direct route, but I am a little apprehensive about walking it. I have seen some comments online about it being dangerous in parts.

There is an alternative route from Glencree which runs south of the Glencree river towards Crone Woods. I could talk this route, join the Wicklow Way, and perhaps walk through a place called Oonagh and emerge out on the L1011 close to the Shop River bus terminus.

Does anyone have any experience walking this route?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They're all tarmac roads, the road on the northern side of the valley usually carries fairly frequent traffic and has a good few bends so unpleasant at best to walk on for any great length. The southern or Crone Woods side is quieter.

We used to follow the river bank in the 1980s all the way from Glencree to Oonagh and then via Powerscourt estate roads to Enniskerry but wouldn't recommend that now - you might be shot in places! :)

Advertisement