Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this a Christmas bargain or what?

Options
  • 25-12-2017 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭

2.30pm today no turkey bought :eek: so headed off to Dunnes.
    3.30pm, 50% off turkeys & turkey crowns :)
    Went in, picked up a monster 9kg turkey at €54.99 with 50% off.
    Over to self scan till, scanned at what I thought was €41 odd, looked again
    and it was actually €41 odd OFF so ended up getting the turkey for €13.75 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bargain, enjoy.

On a side note, normally there's LIDL/ALDI sell offs of cheap Turkeys each year, didn't see any posts about them today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Was there normal price about 3€ a kg

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I never pay full price at Christmas, always wait until Christmas Eve to buy nearly everything apart from booze.
    Got some cracking bargains over the years.
    I'm sure I will end up one Christmas with no turkey but so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

On a side note, normally there's LIDL/ALDI sell offs of cheap Turkeys each year, didn't see any posts about them today

In previous years they did.
    Lidl was always around 30% off and 30% off again this year.
    Aldi was half price usually after lunchtime CE but for some reason
    they didn't this year.
    Asked one of the staff and he said they weren't reducing them, Stillorgan had about 30 turkeys of all sizes left at 4pm which is a lot to offload.

Was there normal price about 3€ a kg

The normal price of the one I got was €6 a kilo but prices varied greatly depending on what sort (ordinary/free range/organic/bronze etc) you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

tesco on stephens day will probably see them reduced

tesco on stephens day will probably see them reduced

Thought Tesco now give their perishable food to charity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

okidoki987 wrote: »
    In previous years they did.
    Lidl was always around 30% off and 30% off again this year.
    Aldi was half price usually after lunchtime CE but for some reason
    they didn't this year.
    Asked one of the staff and he said they weren't reducing them, Stillorgan had about 30 turkeys of all sizes left at 4pm which is a lot to offload.

Id say they will give what they do not sell to charity. Aldi do that a lot now the same with Tesco.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Yeah went to tesco and no real reductions, few years ago a mini riot happened, seen people wrestling over a full salmon for €1

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

AMKC wrote: »
    Id say they will give what they do not sell to charity. Aldi do that a lot now the same with Tesco.
    Yeah, the Mrs asked a staff member in the local Aldi, apparently they're now freezing them and offering them to charity, as too many got dumped in previous years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Remember Tesco 3/4 years ago? They couldn’t give them away. Lost millions on unsellae turkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I admire the balls it takes for ye to wait till Xmas eve to buy a turkey.

Id be shot if I didn't find one so wouldn't take the risk, however small it probably is.

Local butcher did a ham (1.7kg) and a turkey (1.8kg) for €35.

Good price and I like supporting the local butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

+1 on too scared to wait for turkey till Xmas eve but wouldn't mind cheap turkey in the freezer for Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They were selling the deli counter turkey and ham off too got €38 worth for €6 no cooking meat for me today. Big slab of each already prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

They were selling the deli counter turkey and ham off too got €38 worth for €6 no cooking meat for me today. Big slab of each already prepared.

I know someone that does this , gets it sliced in the deli aswell . Just needs to make spuds ,carrots and gravy !

Bullocks wrote: »
    I know someone that does this , gets it sliced in the deli aswell . Just needs to make spuds ,carrots and gravy !

Some people are genius.

Tbh I was homeless four years ago on Christmas so spotted they slash the perishable foods on Christmas eve then so I have been buying it since.

Tbh I was homeless four years ago on Christmas so spotted they slash the perishable foods on Christmas eve then so I have been buying it since.

Things going ok for you now?

Some people are genius.

She doesnt fall under that category , but she was never able to cook a meat without ruining it so figured this was a safer option :D

Bullocks wrote: »
    She doesnt fall under that category , but she was never able to cook a meat without ruining it so figured this was a safer option :D

Sounds genius to me. Cheap meat, no cooking and it's even cut for you. Beats my Christmas efforts anyway

• Advertisement

Fair play , thats a tough station . hope the years are getting much better for you

Things going ok for you now?

Yeah thankfully long road still but am glad of the things I learned on it. :)

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Sounds like something off Sesame Street

Or Mr Bean on his head, or Joey in friends.

. Just needs to make spuds ,carrots and gravy !

OMG
    NO Sprouts? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sounds like something off Sesame Street

That's what I thought.

Just about got it into the oven this morning without having to cut the legs off!.
    Now just have to wait 6 (:eek:) hours for it to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I got a 7kg and an 8kg turkey for €23.75 yesterday in dunnes they just went to 75% off as I picked them up I had a €10 off €40 voucher so I got a few bottles of cider aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

okidoki987 wrote: »
    2.30pm today no turkey bought :eek: so headed off to Dunnes.
    3.30pm, 50% off turkeys & turkey crowns :)
    Went in, picked up a monster 9kg turkey at €54.99 with 50% off.
    Over to self scan till, scanned at what I thought was €41 odd, looked again
    and it was actually €41 odd OFF so ended up getting the turkey for €13.75 :D
    It will have to be left for a few days to thaw out though before you cook it.

It will have to be left for a few days to thaw out though before you cook it.

Nope, fresh :) not frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mikewalsh

I suppose it's a bargain if you want to eat a cheap turkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mikewalsh wrote: »
    I suppose it's a bargain if you want to eat a cheap turkey

It wasn't cheap originally. ;)

Aldi when they open on Wednesday will probably have theirs reduced. Picked up turkey,hams etc. for small money last year. We usually do a big feed on New Year's too so they come in handy.

Advertisement