Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90si broken. Pump?

Options
  • 24-12-2017 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So we have the Triton T90si about 10 years and it's given up tonight. It was making weird noises the other day like fluctuations in the noise it normally makes and then when I turned it down to 1 before turning it off (we always done that and put it to cold to cool the elements before turning it off) it started to make really horrible sounds. Then went higher pitched back to normal. It worked fine then for 2 days and tonight it started making the noise again then went lower then the water went cold which I'd imagine was the thermostat and now if you turn it on you just get very low pressure and a feint buzzing coming from it instead of the loud noise it normally makes.

Would the pump just need replacing as it worked fine up until now?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could be quite simply air locked. It can be opened and the release valve opened to let the air out.

First thing id do.

Obviously turn off the power first

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

listermint wrote: »
    Could be quite simply air locked. It can be opened and the release valve opened to let the air out.

First thing id do.

Obviously turn off the power first

I'll have a look tomorrow. It does sound like it's broken like sounds I've heard before from washing machines when the pump goes bad. If that turns out to be the case though is it possible to source a replacement? I'd imagine I'd have to get one second hand. I can just get a new shower but with it being Christmas now I'm broke and have to try fix it for the time being if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You don't need to be at that turning down etc....

Check the filter, bleed the system and just have a check around.

Its at 10 or older may well be time for an upgrade.

That's good going for a shower

You don't need to be at that turning down etc....

Check the filter, bleed the system and just have a check around.

Its at 10 or older may well be time for an upgrade.

That's good going for a shower

Yeah I'm thinking of buying like a t90sr I think it was called and it's supposed to be a silent pump. Until I have enough though I've to try get this working again. I'll check it tomorrow and if it is the pump I'll see can I get one cheap just for now as I've heard once one part goes in them they just go downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Check for airlock and filter just to be sure.

Rule of thumb motor gets noisy and the bearings are gone, replace pump or motor goes quieter, replace carbon brushes.

You can't get new motors for this model but you can get brushes.

If the motor slows then the pressure reduces. The pressure reduces and The pressure switch won't engage and you won't get hot water.

I'd say that it's the brushes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I second the brushes, changed some in a Mira a few months back

Thanks to everyone. I picked up the brushes today locally for 20 euro and put them in. Working perfectly again.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭sgthighway

That is great news. It would be worth posting where you purchased brushes.

I was going to suggest brushes too. For anybody with a similar issues; the. Carbon Brushes are normally attached with springs. The brushes wear down so small they don't make contact. You can stretch the springs on both brushes and try shower again. If it works just replace them. Most showers give issues after 10 years along with washing machines.

sgthighway wrote: »

I was going to suggest brushes too. For anybody with a similar issues; the. Carbon Brushes are normally attached with springs. The brushes wear down so small they don't make contact. You can stretch the springs on both brushes and try shower again. If it works just replace them. Most showers give issues after 10 years along with washing machines.

Plenty of places sell these brushes but to be able to buy them when Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday? They definitely deserve a mention imo

sgthighway wrote: »

Found them on adverts (willo88) and he left a set in village hardware on monastery road for me. It was grand getting them on Christmas eve.

I got them without the brass but it was easy enough. The springs kept pushing the new ones back out as I was fitting them so I had to try use a screwdriver to hold each one pushed in until it was in place. The old ones were worn to nothing. I took a picture of one of the old and new ones before I fitted them. It was used about 7 times in 2 hours then and worked perfect. Everyone needed to use it with it being Christmas eve.

It was only broken for about 18 hours. I know it's 10 years old but for a cheap set of carbon brushes it's a lot better than having to pay for a whole new shower. The water still heats up and everything else so I knew it had to be the pump. I kind of expected the whole motor to be failing though and that it would be too good to be true that brushes would fix it.

The old heatrae sadia sureflow one we replaced 10 years ago with the T90si had the heating elements gone and we were told to but a new shower and the guy would take the old one for parts because it was apparently unfixable. I didn't know much about them back then I was 15. Basically it can be easy to fix depending on what fails so don't just let some guy (that also was supposed to be friends with my uncle apparently) tell you he'll take it for parts because it's knackered. Just tell him to **** off and you might save about 200 euro haha.

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Mine stopped working the other day, it is not pumping the water out with pressure when you press the button and there is no noise like normal only very faint. There is only a low flow of water. Is the pump gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Mine stopped working the other day, it is not pumping the water out with pressure when you press the button and there is no noise like normal only very faint. There is only a low flow of water. Is the pump gone?

Worth checking the filter on the input side, other than that could be pump brushes. Or its fecked, but if it makes some noise, maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Worth checking the filter on the input side, other than that could be pump brushes. Or its fecked, but if it makes some noise, maybe not

It's not making the normal noise as before it's low.

farmer2018 wrote:

Pump or bushes in the motor

Advertisement