Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astrolux A01 AAA flashlight €3.39 @ Banggood

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Banggood

Torches

Copper version is also available with BLF branding for same price
    https://www.banggood.com/BLF-Edition-A01-Copper-Nichia-219B-102LM-AAA-Mini-Waterproof-Keychain-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-1048174.html
    €7.41 with code 4cb542
    558a30a7-574c-4772-8b1e-38476368cf57.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Thanks for the post OP, just bought one cheers

Bought the cheaper one in black. Love these torch deals you do teotwawki! :)

Bought the cheaper one in black. Love these torch deals you do teotwawki! :)
    I have too many torches but couldn't resist for under €3.50 :pac:

• Advertisement

feck it. bought it.
    by the time an post deliver it I will have forgotten about it :)

Only green and orange remaining (of the €3.39 ones)

Anyone receive any of these yet?

At this time of the year I wouldn't expect it to come in 4 weeks. 6 weeks would be more typical.

Got a copper CPFitalia one this morning. Still waiting on the cheaper version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Arrived today. I had forgotten about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

Got mine yesterday too, it's tiny, but a great little torch, cheers OP.

Got a copper CPFitalia one this morning. Still waiting on the cheaper version.
    You get the cheaper one yet Kimora Gifted Paperboy ?

I got a copper one last week but still waiting on 2x Alu, ordered same time.

still waiting on the 2 x alu also.
    fecking ages at this point.
    probably waiting somewhere in an post to be sorted.

You get the cheaper one yet Kimora Gifted Paperboy ?

I got a copper one last week but still waiting on 2x Alu, ordered same time.

Nah still waiting. Was thinking it was lost but since you guys are also waiting it might turn up yet hopefully.

Bloody An Post. You'd swear it was coming from another galaxy at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

The one I got was a grey Aluminium one.

glasso wrote: »
    still waiting on the 2 x alu also.
    fecking ages at this point.
    probably waiting somewhere in an post to be sorted.
    Nah still waiting. Was thinking it was lost but since you guys are also waiting it might turn up yet hopefully.

Bloody An Post. You'd swear it was coming from another galaxy at this rate!
    Ah with a few still waiting that means they'll probably still come. It's the only thing from Dec which I haven't got yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭PreCocious

Ah with a few still waiting that means they'll probably still come. It's the only thing from Dec which I haven't got yet.

Mine arrived last week. Nicely made but dimmer than a guy wearing a MAGA hat.

PreCocious wrote: »
    Mine arrived last week. Nicely made but dimmer than a guy wearing a MAGA hat.

By any chance are you leaving it in low mode? You have to twist the head off/on quickly to progress through the modes L-M-H. If you do it a second time it goes L-M-H-Strobe

With a good NiMH cell it's ~100 lumen on high which is reasonable for a 1xAAA light, but not class leading. Certainly as good as you will get on any 1xAAA light for €3 ! :pac:

You should always use a good NiMH battery on any modern AA/AAA light to achieve full brightness.

A standard alkaline won't achieve 100 lumen, too much voltage sag (it may achieve it very briefly on a fresh cell). Most likely that's why you are finding it too dim, you're using a half-wasted alkaline and the driver is restricting you to medium mode.

NiMH are far better for high-drain devices. IKEA Ladda's are very good value for money. I think they're basically Eneloops.

With a good NiMH cell it's ~100 lumen on high which is reasonable for a 1xAAA light, but not class leading. Certainly as good as you will get on any 1xAAA light for €3 ! :pac:

You should always use a good NiMH battery on any modern AA/AAA light to achieve full brightness.

A standard alkaline won't achieve 100 lumen, too much voltage sag (it may achieve it very briefly on a fresh cell). Most likely that's why you are finding it too dim, you're using a half-wasted alkaline and the driver is restricting you to medium mode.

NiMH are far better for high-drain devices. IKEA Ladda's are very good value for money. I think they're basically Eneloops.

I tried an alkaline from a Led Lenser and a freshly charged eneloop - both were the same.

(Thanks for the info about the Laddas - I must check them out).

• Advertisement

PreCocious wrote: »
    I tried an alkaline from a Led Lenser and a freshly charged eneloop - both were the same.
    Might be something wrong with it in that case.

How dim are we talking? What is your expectation of 100 lumen ? (have you a flashlight of known output to compare?)

Can you progress through the modes okay? (L-M-H then L-M-H-Strobe)

If there's something wrong with it BG are usually very good to deal with. I'd investigate further though just to confirm it's really faulty.

Sounds like he has it on low.

Might be something wrong with it in that case.

How dim are we talking? What is your expectation of 100 lumen ? (have you a flashlight of known output to compare?)

Can you progress through the modes okay? (L-M-H then L-M-H-Strobe)

If there's something wrong with it BG are usually very good to deal with. I'd investigate further though just to confirm it's really faulty.

I was comparing it to a Led Lenser P3 and a Nitecore Tube.

I didn't realise it had LMH (never read the instructions) and I've figured out how to change the modes and now I'm blinded :)

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

LOL.

Yes, low mode is incredibly dim. Approx 0.14 lumen. It's called moonlight/firefly, the idea is to give just enough light for dark-adjusted eyes to read a map or find something on your dresser. Without ruining your night vision (or waking your partner).

I would be disappointed also if I thought that was the only mode it had :pac:

The fateful moment has come. It has arrived!

got the 2 that I ordered yesterday. 2 months! safe to say that An Post is still delaying items from China.

Well I'm inclined to give them a bit of slack because it was over the Christmas. Also for €3 I doubt it was priority post!

Yeah I got the outstanding ones the other day also. Bit longer than expected even with the usual end-of-year delays. Anyway, less than €3.50 shipped for a flashlight with Nichia 219B, can't complain.

Because they were old stock of forum-specials, all the ones I received have the older Manker driver which is preferred to the current driver that Astrolux use for 2 reasons:
    1) no PWM
    2) always comes on in low first time you use it

So they werent just cheaper, they're actually a bit better than the full-price A01. Happy days

Advertisement