Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken

Options
  • 23-12-2017 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭

Do you think that someone can have experienced so much in life that no matter what happens to them that they have a predetermined path in life that nobody can influence?

Personally I think nobody is broken unless they choose to be. We own our own success and failures. The most interesting people I've ever met were those who decided to be more.

Tldr: does our Outlook on life hold us back?

Comments

Drink! Drink! Feic! Arse!Drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

The one Word I would use is we need to Excel in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sounds like protestant talk to me Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Well, one of the most depressing things is that you can't change your basic personality, some folk have personalities that work for them, make them the authors of their fates and have the ability to make others perceive them how they wish to be perceived and others have personalities that work against them, stop them from being successful in life and are at the mercy of whatever is said or made up about them. That's how it seems to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,263 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When I see Tldr I aways think of Toploader and this tune...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Personally I think nobody is broken unless they choose to be. We own our own success and failures. The most interesting people I've ever met were those who decided to be more.

I agree!

Life's what yous make of it....if yous have a crappy outlook...you'll have a crappy life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

jamesbere wrote: »
    The one Word I would use is we need to Excel in life.

Great advice on how to Access your full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Great advice on how to Access your full potential.

Well it really Works

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you think that someone can have experienced so much in life that no matter what happens to them that they have a predetermined path in life that nobody can influence?

Yes.

btw, TLDR only applies to long posts, yours didn't even come close.. :)

Life is hard, you make your own destiny. Unfortunately in this country, wasters expect everything to be handed to them and if it goes wrong it's someone elses fault.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Len is gonna kick you up the arse all the way to Rome if you don't stop with all the melodramatics. That or the beast will bugger you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I feel like something holds me back in every thing I do. I reach a point where I just can’t improve anymore in anything I take up.

In sport, musical instrument playing, producing, gaming, design, editing... The list goes on. Lots of people regularly tell me they wish they could do this or that, whatever it is I’m doing, but I feel like I’m so far away from where I should be.

Basically, I can do lots of things just grand but still haven’t found anything I really excel at.
    In saying that, I’m happy as f*ck with my life at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes I do. Directly proportional to what has happened to them in their life.

I really believe life is a game of luck. For example a highly successful person who is highly intelligent born into a middle class family would probably not have enjoyed the same success if they were born into a lower working class family. I've heard of studies that reflect same.

Of course there are exceptions but they don't change the rule.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.”

― Aristotle, (384–322 BC)
    The Jesuits bought into this one bigtime.

Then again, what was the name of that Canadian shrink that deprogrammed a housewife , as completely wiped out most of her life memories, with US military funding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Personally I think nobody is broken unless they choose to be.

This 'life-coach' bullshit has its place, I guess, but it's an incredibly limited understanding of human beings and how they are influenced by their environment.

What about soldiers who return with severe PTSD? Do they 'choose' to be broken?

Consider this disturbing footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If something is truly BROKEN then you must DELETE it immediately YESSSSSS! WONDERFUL!!!

tumblr_odlx3nFSLW1s05wxzo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Steve wrote: »

Life is hard, you make your own destiny. Unfortunately in this country, wasters expect everything to be handed to them and if it goes wrong it's someone elses fault.. :rolleyes:
    But it is everyone elses fault!

This has about 90% to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Ride me sideways was another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Resilience, and resilience can only come from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

“Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.”

Aristotle, (384–322 BC) Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile, 1926-2011

Fixed that for ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I feel like something holds me back in every thing I do. I reach a point where I just can’t improve anymore in anything I take up.

In sport, musical instrument playing, producing, gaming, design, editing... The list goes on. Lots of people regularly tell me they wish they could do this or that, whatever it is I’m doing, but I feel like I’m so far away from where I should be.

Basically, I can do lots of things just grand but still haven’t found anything I really excel at.
    In saying that, I’m happy as f*ck with my life at the moment :)

I think a lot of it is down to experience, especially jobwise.
    You may think you're only doing alright, but then watch a newbie struggle and you realise you're pretty damn good. And you will always get better. You may not realise it because it's a gradual thing, but in a changing world we are always changing and upskilling. You may think you hit a plateau, but that is because if you take up anything new, your skill level expands dramatically in the beginning, but later on it slows down and it is all about routine and working out the finer details.
    Of course the will always be someone better, but in the end experience is the most important bit.
    As for playing an instrument, I don't have great fine motor skills, I could practice the guitar 10 years and still be sh*t at it.
    As for the future, no way is it written. It's all quantum, the trousers of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Emphasis added. You are presuming that someone has options available to them, and it's just a matter of choosing between them. What if you have no options?

For example, the way some political parties or economic theorists talk, they think everyone should be an entrepreneur: someone who can spot an economic opportunity, take a gamble with everything they have, and reap the rewards. Except ... what happens if you don't succeed?

If you're a certain Donald J Trump, you never really risked anything in the first place. You started with your daddy's money, and your business dealings were set up with limited liability, so your personal safety was never really at risk. There was no chance that it could all go wrong for you, and you could end up without a roof over your head, dying in the gutter because you tried to do it all yourself. No, you just declare corporate bankruptcy but keep yourself in the lifestyle to which you were accustomed.

Whenever you see someone like Trump, or Elon Musk, remember that they have a support system behind them, and when they talk about taking a risk with everything, it's not really everything. They can take a risk, fail, and not suffer any real personal consequences, and then tell other people they can do it too. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Many paedos seem to have been abused as kids themselves.

Perverting their sexual development.

They're broken people.

Nurture over nature

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Love how Donald Trump pisses off all the losers.

Maybe they should try running the family business, they wouldn't last a New York minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Love how Donald Trump pisses off all the losers.

Maybe they should try running the family business, they wouldn't last a New York minute.

Well, it's not that he is a bigoted, racist, sexist, obnoxious piece of sh*t, but the fact that he promised to deliver for the ordinary man and is taking healthcare away from them whilst selling out the future of his country so the top 1% can get a tax cut. And of course that a herd of morons cheer and applaud as he does so.
    One can only hope that people wake up to the fact that he is not draining the swamp, but filling it with alligators.
    They're not sore losers, they're shouting at the bus driver that he is steering towards the edge of a cliff whilst the rest of the passengers howl, cheer and holler for him to go faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I choose the other thing. I choose to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Omackeral wrote: »
    If something is truly BROKEN then you must DELETE it immediately YESSSSSS! WONDERFUL!!!

You be careful the fathers gonna have to tell Sister Abigail on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Omackeral wrote: »

Wonderful!

• Advertisement

Stuff just unfolds. Including what the totality of thoughts, actions, experiences etc. a person ends up having over their whole life turn out to be. Responsibility is "something" people need to take upon themselves, because nobody is in actuality 100% ... the source .. for any of their actions (hard to articulate my thoughts). Different people are different animals with different brains, due to different ages, genetics, life histories etc. and so are not going to be able operate exactly alike (some are more intelligent, or assertive or quick to anger etc.).

So while nobody is absolutely the determiner for their actions or how their life turns out in actuality, we should and we do see it as inherently admirable of people to take responsiblity for themselves, and because we like to be admired it makes sense for us to strive to act responsibly in our lives. But those people who end up not being responsible were always "not going to be responsible" in actuality and so they are just unlucky to be who they are.

Criminal justice systems need to exist to deter all from committing crime, both those with a low propensity to commit crime and those with a high propensity, even though a certain number of people with a high propensity towards committing crime (due to bad luck in general - genes, upbringing, pathological brain injury ..) will slip through the cracks by committing crime in spite of the deterent and getting caught. Without the deterent, even people with a low propensity to commit crime will commit crime so it would be worse. But to keep the system in operation, we must sentence people for their bad behaviour and deny that we know the notion of deservingness of punishment is not as philosophically sound as we might like.

In summary, we're not responsible for how our lives turn out (in the absolute sense some people think) but it is a good thing for it to be a social reality that people are and it is worth striving to attain your goals by taking responsibility for yourself - all else being equal you are more likely to succeed in life than if you don't "take responsiblity" (as much as your physical brain at a given time will allow you to) than if you absolve yourself of the need to take responsibility because philosphically it isn't sound.

Advertisement