Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will DVB-T Freeview Tuner TV pick up Saorview?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The currys.ie site has it on sale, so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

The currys.ie site has it on sale, so you should be fine.
    I cant see it on the currys.ie site....Just thought it needed Freeview HD to work with Saorview....

Yes, was thinking that alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

toby2111 wrote: »
    I cant see it on the currys.ie site....Just thought it needed Freeview HD to work with Saorview....

My apolgies, the search returned a similar model.

It does not need DVB-T2 which is not used in the ROI, but it does need MPEG4. Olde r Freeview sets did not do MPEG4, but modern ones might.

Any way of checking if it has MPEG4??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Any way of checking if it has MPEG4??

God knows whats in it.

These are TV's manufactured for Currys. (You cannot trust their websites as they are either wrong or are interchanging specs between Saorview/Freeview)

Normally you can check the manual to see if the tuner has H264 capabilities but nothing up on their support site https://www.partmaster.co.uk/search.pl

So I'd stay away. The 720p is enough to say no, it wont support Saorview.

STB. wrote: »

Are all 720p Tvs non-Saorview? It's just for my Dad to watch in his front room. He has one of those old, big back TVs so while this LOGIK is not full Hd, surely it'll be a decent upgrade on his current one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    ... Freeview didn't use MPEG4 for HD, they just upgraded the network to DVB T2.

Freeview HD does indeed use MPEG4.

MPEG4 is a video codec, DVB-T2 is a modulation standard. They're not intrinsically linked in any way, aside from the fact they are newer standards & so obviously tend to be used together.

Just remembered that my Dad uses one of those ferguson ariva boxes to get his channels as he has a very old TV. So I won't really need Saorview on the TV as he gets it through that ariva box. I know the logik is not a state if the art TV but is it decent enough for him? My local Curry's sold out their jvc 32 inch tvs.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    So the chances that a Freeview TV supports DVB T MPEG4 are very slim and therefore Saorview will not work.
    And even though Saorview is DVB T, the spec for new TVs and boxes was updated a couple of years ago to DVB T2.
    If you buy a DVB T TV, it is already out of date.

This is actually incorrect.

The reason that some TV's branded as Freeview work is that they are pan european TV's. They are built for more than one market. They have DVB-T MPEG4 H264 @L4 tuner module and enabled processor, they wont do Freeview HD as they use DVB-T2 for their H264 content, where as Saorview just uses DVB-T for H264. Most big branded TVs from 2009 onwards would be fine in this regard.

Most big branded TV's have DVB-T2 H264 tuner modules in the last few years and they are of course backwards compatible with DVB-T H264 and DVB-T MPEG2. All the UHD/4K UE TV's would have H265 which would also have H264 on board.

It only becomes a mire when the tecj specs are not available, which they sometimes arent for OEM products like those Curry's import. Currys are notorious for being so lasy that they are selling TVs on fall premises and therefore cannot be trusted.
    Are all 720p Tvs non-Saorview? It's just for my Dad to watch in his front room. He has one of those old, big back TVs so while this LOGIK is not full Hd, surely it'll be a decent upgrade on his current one?

No, just some unbranded stuff from UK, that really should not be sold as anything other than a monitor in Ireland.

Yes if you have a combo box already then the arguement about what tuners it has becomes redundant once you do not have expectations that it will pick up Saorview independently. It will rescale the content from the box.

• Advertisement

So I picked it up from Newry earlier, saw it on display and it looks fine. Says on the box, it's a smart TV so can watch Netflix, YouTube etc which is another bonus. I know it's not a 4k,ultra HD, Dolby surround sound mega TV..... But for my Dad, it'll probably be the bee's knees! I'll check if it has Saorview on Christmas day but it's no big deal as he has a box.

God knows whats in it.

These are TV's manufactured for Currys. (You cannot trust their websites as they are either wrong or are interchanging specs between Saorview/Freeview)

Normally you can check the manual to see if the tuner has H264 capabilities but nothing up on their support site https://www.partmaster.co.uk/search.pl

The spec says it’s a 60Hz panel, seriously? That alone would shy me away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

So I picked it up from Newry earlier, saw it on display and it looks fine. Says on the box, it's a smart TV so can watch Netflix, YouTube etc which is another bonus. I know it's not a 4k,ultra HD, Dolby surround sound mega TV..... But for my Dad, it'll probably be the bee's knees! I'll check if it has Saorview on Christmas day but it's no big deal as he has a box.

Did you see it showing a Saorview channel? Some of the Curry's stuff is UK only models. Saorview channels will be all over the place, text may not work correctly. You may also find the so-called smart features are very limited without the ability to update the software.
    My advice to anyone buying from Curry's is to see it doing exactly what you want/expect BEFORE you buy it.

No, didn't see Saorview channels. Not important as my dad has a box. He probably won't even use the smart features. It'll still be a big upgrade from his ancient TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Rest easy ...... 720 is fine for a 32" TV.

Be sure to change to the HDMI output of the STB if he presently is using a Scart cable. You might need a cable ...... ;)

Yes, he's using a scart but I have a spare hdmi cable. I presume I just go into settings of the ariva box to change output to hdmi?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Karsini wrote: »
    The spec says it’s a 60Hz panel, seriously? That alone would shy me away from it.

What's the problem with 60hz?

Yes, he's using a scart but I have a spare hdmi cable. I presume I just go into settings of the ariva box to change output to hdmi?

Yeh but it should notice it automatically. Just dont have both scart and hdmi connected to the same box at once.

What model Ariva is it ? 120, 220, 150, 250, 153 ?

What model Ariva is it ? 120, 220, 150, 250, 153 ?

Think it's a basic one, maybe 120 or 150? I'll check tomorrow.

What's the problem with 60hz?
    Our broadcaats are all 50Hz so you’d get motion problems, most noticeable on tickers or credits. So the refresh rate should be 50 or a multiple of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 gg69me

So will a TV with a DVB-T and a mpeg4 Tuner pick up Saorview or does it have to be DVB-T2 .

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, just needs DVB-T with MPEG4.

Advertisement