Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donkeys over kids?

Options
  • 21-12-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/288364/473-000-allocated-to-three-longford-animal-welfare-organisations.html

See the attached article from the Longford Leader.

Government funding of 473,000 for 3 animal welfare groups in Longford, as part of over E2.5 nationwide.
    Meanwhile, the same article mentions 35k for youth clubs in the area!
    My question is... WTF?
    I know there is other funding available, but I would have thought spending almost half a million in a small county like Longford on looking after stray donkeys and the like is obscene.

Put the half million into young people's services and amenities is what I say, or am I out of touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Odhinn

http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/288364/473-000-allocated-to-three-longford-animal-welfare-organisations.html

Government funding of 473,000 for 3 animal welfare groups in Longford, as part of over E2.5 nationwide.
    My question is... WTF?
    I know there is other funding available, but I would have thought spending almost half a million in a small county like Longford on looking after stray donkeys and the like is obscene.

Put the half million into young people's services and amenities is what I say, or am I out of touch.

The department involved is from the Ministry of Agriculture so no, its not going to go to youth groups. The 35 grand wass just from one fund run by the department of youth affairs etc. You'd have to get a break down of overall spending to see what youth related stuff gets in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,979 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If we could just find someway to get youth groups interested in taking care of the donkeys...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

There are more donkeys than youths in Longford, so on a per capita basis it works about about the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Donkeys over kids gets my goat.

Geddit?!

Ara you dont know comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Donkeys are wonderful so they should get more funding and nevermind them youth clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

OP, have you been to Longford? Sometimes it's hard to tell the kids and the donkeys apart. Money well spent I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Odhinn wrote: »
    The department involved is from the Ministry of Agriculture so no, its not going to go to youth groups. The 35 grand wass just from one fund run by the department of youth affairs etc. You'd have to get a break down of overall spending to see what youth related stuff gets in the county.

I might be wrong, but it looks like the Dept of Agriculture has money left over, and 'has to spend it before the end of the year'. The old use it or lose it scenario. Frightful waste of public money IMHO. (This is not to disparage the folks involved in the organisations getting the money, but **** me there is something wrong somewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Animals are wonderful.
    Kids are ok but they grow into adults who really pi*s me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Donkeys over some kids, these kids will cost the state €287,500 a head in year 1...
    Relocating 40 unaccompanied minors from a former Calais migrant camp in France will cost the Exchequer €11.5 million in the first year, the Cabinet will hear Tuesday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-to-hear-11-5m-needed-to-relocate-40-calais-minors-1.2930693

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Animals are wonderful.
    Kids are ok but they grow into adults who really pi*s me off.

Dam right when was the last time you got harassed by a gang of donkeys outside an offie to buy them fags and booze because they "forgot" their id's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

My question is... WTF?

Out of touch?! It's worse then that...

Do you really think the 35k reported is the ONLY money spent on young people in Longford?!

Is your outrage really based on the fecking Longford Leader getting a scoop that donkeys get 473,000 euro funding while youth clubs get only 35,000?!

It's people like you that have allowed Fianna Fail to become relevant again. :rolleyes:

The age-old adage still applies, think before you speak, inform yourself before posting a thread.

If something doesn't sound plausible to you then dig a little deeper.

Jesus. I'm on mobile and can't see. Someone please tell me the OP is 12...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I far prefer donkeys to teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

You should read what a group of teenagers did to a poor donkey over in Morocco earlier in the year,
    perhaps the slow ponies are even better funded over there, and it has created some resentment with the yoofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭elperello

http://www.ispca.ie/ispca_national_animal_centres/
    That centre in Kenagh does great work looking after animals that have suffered cruelty.
    Deserves every penny they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on what sauce you're serving with.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So you're a big fan of the oul' ass? Thought as much in fairness

Advertisement