Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan food Dundalk

Options
  • 21-12-2017 6:54pm

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to go for vegan options.

I’m thinking a cafe or restaurant.

I’d prefer a full plant based menu but I accepted I may not find that in Dundalk.

I did a google search and a search on happy cow that led me to try out Strandfield near Ballymascanlon today.

Have to say it was very disappointing. I wanted a coffee and pastry (or something to go with my coffee) but I was told there were no vegan options in the sweet section of the menu.

I then asked what main meals were vegan and they advised the salad but without the egg and dressing. So I won’t be going back there again.

I know there was a vegan pizza place beside the spirit store but not sure if that’s still going and that would be more of a takeaway option rather than a sit in experience.

I think I have seen a guy on here (conor 75or95) talking about plant based options in Dundalk so hopefully he is still on here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

23 Seats on Crowe Street, they often have a vegan special for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The vegan pizzas were by a crowd called Dark Horse pizza who have a Facebook page. They do monthly supper clubs in Bellurgan so worth checking FB for dates. They also do a lunch delivery

+1 for 23 seats - I think the owner is now vegan so he tries to do a vegan dish on the menu

Panama cafe in the square do felafel.

The Japanese on Park Street have tofu options.

And I believe the cafe that replaced Barry’s on the square may have an option or two

Thanks guys. I’ll check them out over the next 10 days and report back.

I’m not on Facebook so I’ll try a different avenue to see if I can try dark horse pizza.

It was henryporter I was trying to remember and not conor75.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

The last time I was in Panama the falafel had dairy in it, so not vegan unfortunately. That was a while ago, so they may have changed their supplier since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I just found out the Eno's bar and grill have a vegan menu, it's on their website.

• Advertisement

I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to try any of the recommendations posted above.

I look forward to trying 23 seats when I’m back there. I’ve been told the owner is vegan and that is why there is a frequent vegan option in the daily specials.

I did see the vegan menu on Eno’s website but only 1-2 days before I left so I didn’t get a chance to try it. I will definitely try next time I’m there.

Have read my above post on Strandfield I feel it was harsh but only slightly. My experience was the cafe had no vegan options but the shop attached did carry some vegan products so it’s only fair to point that out. From memory they had a vegan mayonnaise and vegan ‘butter’ and had some vegan chocolates too. I’m sure there were other products too.

I couldn’t find any info on the vegan pizza place (dark horse?) because I’m not on Facebook.

Quick update.

I’m back in Dundalk and had the chance to try out Eno.

I was very impressed with the vegan menu. It’s nice to be able to order a starter, main and dessert and to have a few choices for each.

The chickpea tagine is as good a vegan dish as I’ve had anywhere. Top quality and fantastic flavour.

I did try the pizza also but wasn’t as impressed but I’m not a big pizza fan. Next time I would try and order the pizza to my taste and ask for exactly the toppings I want. I prefer my vegan pizza not to have faux cheese as I’ve never had one that resembles cheese and I just don’t see the point.

The matcha dessert was very very very good too.

Would be great if the staff were a bit more up to speed on what drinks were vegan and unfortunately they were out of the vegan wine when we visited so I didn’t get to try it.

So Eno is a must visit for all vegans that miss the fine dining experience. It’s definitely worth making the effort to visit if you’re in Louth.

I will get into 23 seats next week and check it out.

Just had a 4 day break in Edinburgh too and the vegan restaurants were just sublime. I really do miss the experience of a good quality restaurant since I went vegan.

Unfortunately I won’t get to try Dark Horse on this visit as they won’t be open but hopefully next time I’ll get to try it.

Visited 23 seats for breakfast and was very disappointed with them having just one vegan option.

It was a breakfast burrito toasted wrap. It was very nice but I’m sure it’d take 2-3 visits before I got bored of it.

So it’s in no way a vegan cafe as I’m sure any decent cafe could put together something similar if asked.

Very nice and helpful staff and the music was excellent.

I will go back for a coffee and some great tunes but not sure how many times I could have the vegan option without getting bored by it.

Advertisement