Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Intercom on Irish Rail

Options
  • 21-12-2017 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Whenever a train is held up and driver usually comes over the intercom to give us a reason, they can never be made out because its low volume and breaks up.

I feel like it might be intentional, since there is no problem hearing the intercom for stops, or "please do not put your feet on seats" etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

oxygen wrote: »
    Whenever a train is held up and driver usually comes over the intercom to give us a reason, they can never be made out because its low volume and breaks up.

I feel like it might be intentional, since there is no problem hearing the intercom for stops, or "please do not put your feet on seats" etc...

The please do not put your feet on seats is pre recorded computerized. It is an issue on the ICR's and at times I often think it's the way the driver is operating it rather than a system fault. Wouldn't say it's intentional but they just don't know its happening.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There used to be one ICR set that every time it appeared on the Maynooth could only communicate in very very quiet Irish and the only thing I could hear in English was Please do not put your feet on the seats.

devnull wrote: »
    There used to be one ICR set that every time it appeared on the Maynooth could only communicate in very very quiet Irish and the only thing I could hear in English was Please do not put your feet on the seats.

Someone probally messed up the data on the ID for the service, there was issues on M3 Parkway announcing the Hansfield stop before.

Is there still the single 8100 DART which has a very old version of software that is riddled with bugs compared to the version that is on all the others which works flawlessly?

I'm talking about the one that translates absolutely everything into Irish including please do not put your feet on the seats (repeated three times after every stop), doesn't know Clongriffin exists, and has an announcement for Ferries at DL and bus services that no longer exist and none of the side screens work.

I haven't noticed all the bugs it has for a long time, so I'm guessing they either finally fixed it and it knows Clongriffin exists now or it's in a middle of a 6/8 car unit so as such it is getting it's data from another uit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

On an ICR heading for Enniscorthy a couple of weeks back and the PA encouraged people to disembark at Dun Laoghaire for ferry services - the service ended in 2014!

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    On an ICR heading for Enniscorthy a couple of weeks back and the PA encouraged people to disembark at Dun Laoghaire for ferry services - the service ended in 2014!

One 8100 had that on it and is using software that is about 10 years old and hasn't been updated since unlike the other 8100s, there's also at least one 85xx going around talking about it as well, although confusingly it states it AFTER leaving DL when announcing the next stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Oh the ferries announcement is on nearly every DART still for Dun Laoghaire, even though it's like 7 years since the HSS stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The please do not put your feet on seats is pre recorded computerized. It is an issue on the ICR's and at times I often think it's the way the driver is operating it rather than a system fault. Wouldn't say it's intentional but they just don't know its happening.

The drivers then need to be asked to move closer to the microphone and talk louder then. I'll twitter Irish Rail, let them know. They haven't got enough to be doing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hearing Please Do Not Put your Feet on Seats 10x on a trip is grating. There are enough signs as it is.

Hearing Please Do Not Put your Feet on Seats 10x on a trip is grating. There are enough signs as it is.

No to mention the smug thank you for travelling on Iarnrod Eireann and all the other waffle x 10 per journey - I tackled the CEO of IE about this a couple of weeks ago and I'll post his masterly reply here later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the lack of attention to detail has been rife on the railway for as long as i can remember.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    No to mention the smug thank you for travelling on Iarnrod Eireann and all the other waffle x 10 per journey - I tackled the CEO of IE about this a couple of weeks ago and I'll post his masterly reply here later.

None of that appear on the DART trains.

8100 Standard pattern is:
    This train is for <English> <Irish Name> - Please do not put your feet on the seats
    Next Station: <English Name> & <Irish Name>. Mind the gap.

The 8100 with the bugged software is much longer as rather than just mentioning the name in Irish after the English translates every single thing into Irish and keeps repeating do not put your feet on the seats in Irish and English three times after every stop.

8500 is normally lost, so fires off random stuff at times, but when it works it also has announcements about CCTV and safety at most stops and occasionally fires off some announcements about the train being non stop between Connolly and Howth Junction even when it isn't.

8100s generally have it right, but could do with the announcements about connections at DL and Connolly updating as well as adding one at Howth advising people to change trains for the Malahide/Howth branch.

Have to admit the MK4's on the Cork route and the ICR's can go on a bit though.

There's no way of condensing my recent letter to IE, so here it is in full:

CEO Irish Rail,
    Connolly Station,
    Dublin.1.

17th November, 2017

Re: Dublin/Rosslare Railway

Dear Mr.Franks,

Once again, as with your predecessor, I find myself having to complain about your services on the above route.

Where to start? Perhaps the first frustrating issue is the non-existent waiting facilities at Connolly (Platform.5.). I regularly use the service on a Sunday – the 14.20 ex.Rosslare – which arrives at Connolly at 17.10. It is shut down on arrival at Platform.5. – ostensibly for servicing I presume? However this seems very hit and miss as frequently there’s no water in toilet washbasins on the return journey.

The train remains shut-down at the platform until 10/15 minutes before the return working at 18.30. Sometimes the doors are left open which allows passengers to board and sit in relative comfort, but more often than not they remain locked forcing passengers to stand about on the freezing platform. It’s the sheer inconsistency that’s maddening and anyway it should be possible to allow passengers board as soon as whatever servicing has been done.
    The last Sunday that I travelled (22/10/17) the doors were locked and I was unable to board until 18.19, whereas the previous Sunday I was able to board at 17.45.

Anyway, that’s just one aspect of the service that needs attention. Other things that could do with some thought are the way that the train has become a commuter service between Greystones/Bray and Connolly. In the Up Direction this could be lessened by trains serving the Down platform at Bray rather than the Up platform. In the Down direction the removal of Tara Street as a stop would also reduce the overcrowding. Having people blocking the aisles and doorways, standing up against you – even if you’re seated – is surely not part of the ‘inter-city’ product? The trolley service is frequently unable to get through the train for substantial parts of the journey.

The excessive, smug, bilingual announcements – frequently out of sync with locations – are also very annoying and do little to create the relaxing ambience – promoted in your advertising. They were clearly created by somebody in love with the sound of his own voice.

As for the safety and evacuation notices in the vestibules – there are far too many and would only confuse in event of an emergency!

On a more general point, the lack of a printed “all lines” timetable is beyond stupid. You produce one for your staff – therefore the typesetting/design costs are already covered and so why not print more and sell them to the public? Most people are not railway enthusiasts and won’t have a clue of what other places are rail served. What other company would hide its own products from public view?

Years ago I raise this issue with Dick Fearn, back when the printed all line timetable still existed, and I even suggested that IE should include Ads for its other services such as Fastrack, Restaurant na Mara etc….Need I say more as both of the latter are now long gone.

Your stations are like something from East Germany – everything is Verboten – almost every poster is threatening or warning you not to cycle or run on the platform, stand behind the yellow line, keep off the track, report anti-social behaviour, mind the gap etc. not one promoting places to visit by train, bargain offers or anything positive.

Comments offered in the forlorn hope that things will improve.

Yours sincerely,

The reply addressed some of the issues raised but didn't really appear to take anything on board - you be the judge.

IR%2BCEO%2B1%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Someone probally messed up the data on the ID for the service, there was issues on M3 Parkway announcing the Hansfield stop before.

Almost 5 years after Hansfield opened, the intercom still incorrectly announces Dunboyne as next stop at Clonsilla on M3 services

ongarboy wrote: »
    Almost 5 years after Hansfield opened, the intercom still incorrectly announces Dunboyne as next stop at Clonsilla on M3 services

Lack of attention to detail to be honest - can say that about too many things in the state unfortunately.

ongarboy wrote: »

They are 100% aware of this and its been raised a lot. I am going to assume it's something which they cannot currently fix. It on the 2900 as well or just ICRs?

Advertisement