Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Options
  • 21-12-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭

Here We Go Again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Awh yeah lets go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The Horse Said Woof

Arise Pierce Brosnan. The world needs your singing once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

...about as much as it needs a new, virulent,antibiotic resistant variant of the clap :pac:

I'll just leave this here as one of my all time favorite film reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,380 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cher playing Meryl Streep's Donna's mother

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If he has any sense, he's had some singing lessons, and we're all going to eat our words. The young Meryl Streep didn't look like Lily James, though.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks like they are trying to hide the fact that they couldn't afford Streep by showing clips of her from the first movie. I wonder if the whole film is like this.

Looks like they are trying to hide the fact that they couldn't afford Streep by showing clips of her from the first movie. I wonder if the whole film is like this.

Yes is
    Donna dead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Ma ma me a

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

No, while that trailer does contain flashback shots, it's also got some new shots of Meryl e.g. in that feather boa costume.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes is
    Donna dead?

Apparently,
    Donna died a year before the events of this upcoming film, which is set 5 years after the original.
    She was supposed to have continued her relationship with Sam. Sophie is now renovating the Belladonna hotel to honour her memory. While Donna is dead, Streep has filmed so Meryl does feature in the film in some capacity. She's involved in three songs on the soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Full disclosure...Huge Abba fan here, but......

I LOVED this. I thought it was much better than the first one, not so fluffy, it dug out some of the hidden treasures from the back catalogue (even with some lyric changes). The incidental music was (for me) even better than some of the main tunes. Cher was, well Cher, but sure you get what you get there. I believe she's doing an Abba album off the back of it. Should give her a number one. Lily James from Downton is very likeable, fabulously photogenic and lights the screen up.

Croatia acquits itself really well. It looked stunning. For Abba superfans, there are even a few little sly references only they will get.

I think this will be even bigger than the last one. Anything brings new people to Abba is good in my book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Heard Mark Kermode talking about this earlier and he
    loved it

spurious wrote: »
    Full disclosure...Huge Abba fan here, but......

I LOVED this. I thought it was much better than the first one, not so fluffy, it dug out some of the hidden treasures from the back catalogue (even with some lyric changes). The incidental music was (for me) even better than some of the main tunes. Cher was, well Cher, but sure you get what you get there. I believe she's doing an Abba album off the back of it. Should give her a number one. Lily James from Downton is very likeable, fabulously photogenic and lights the screen up.

Croatia acquits itself really well. It looked stunning. For Abba superfans, there are even a few little sly references only they will get.

I think this will be even bigger than the last one. Anything brings new people to Abba is good in my book.

As an ABBA fan too I completely agree. I never quite understand the snobbery that some fans have around Mamma Mia. They act as if ABBA's music is too good for Mamma Mia. While the story of the first one at least (yet to see sequel) is rather tenuous, it has acted as a fantastic vehicle to promote and make ABBA relevant in the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dragged reluctantly to see this tonight but I loved it. Really great fun. :)

During Cher's first song, I was willing her to go close to the flaming torch to see what would happen. :pac:

oVoAOHB.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Loved it !! Best film I've seen in ages. Lily James is one to watch, she's going to get bigger and bigger. Casting was fantastic, especially the younger three male dads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,211 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought this was even more of a blast than the first one, some of the people in it can still not sing a note (young and old Brosnan especially) but it doesn't really matter at all.
    Loved hearing angel eyes always loved that song, I also thought lily James was excellent.
    It just shows you how indestructible the abba song book is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Here's a short review by a critic for The Onion. Contains Language.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brady099

Cher:heart::heart::heart:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

bnt wrote: »

That's brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

Ive never seen the first film, Mama Mia and I have no idea why I went to see the sequel, but I off I went anyway and.........I loved it. Me sitting in the middle of grannies and kids alike, it was magical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I absolutely LOVED every miilisecond of this glorious movie. I bawled crying, I laughed & sang along. Apologies to the other patrons in Blanchardstown cinema yesterday.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

bnt wrote: »

I have no interest in the Mamma Mia films, and bare them no ill, they're just a bit of fun - but wanted to say that was a fine piece of commentary that's bluntly apt about pop culture in general really. Like all great satire, it hits hard from a lot of angles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I just saw this, absolutely unashamedly loved it, would watch it another 10 times. Pure escapism! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Loved it. Was emotional wreck by the end. It has no business being as good as it is, which is what I said about the last one too. Lily James was a joy to watch, so exuberant.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cher is bringing out an Abba covers album

Catherine O'Hara as young Christine Baranski :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Ma ma me a

I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finally got around to watching this tonight I needed something lighthearted and I really loved it.

Lily James is gorgeous.

Cher is plastic.

Christine Baranski can do no wrong in my eyes.

Advertisement