Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi fine

Options
  • 20-12-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Dear sir/madam

On Monday I got sick in the back of the taxi and was told I need to pay a fine. I have no problem paying the fine and I have the money now but the problem is the driver wants cash. As I'm sure you can understand this does not bring much security to myself and I would much rather a bank transfer. Also when I tried to find the driver on Facebook I couldn't and when I looked up one of the numbers he gave me it was from Nigeria. I gave him my passport so that he could find me if I refuse to pay so he can bring me to court but I am more then willingly to pay however it all seems a bit out of the ordinary. I'm not saying that he's not legit or anything all I want is to pay the fine and be done with it any suggestions on what I should do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you gave him your passport? That's on it;s way to Nigeria by now (possibly)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I gave him my passport ...
    :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

The maximum the taxi can charge is 140 euro. What's insecure about handing him that in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'd say the op suspects the taxi driver isn't legit and trying to find a way not to pay otherwise he'd have paid the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

You can give cash. But ask him for his ID number and vehicle licence number. You can check these on the NTA website to see if they are legit. Once you find this is insist on a signed receipt with his driver number, vehicle licence number and reg......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

laotg wrote: »
    The maximum the taxi can charge is 140 euro. What's insecure about handing him that in cash?

Not so. The Soiling Fee is up to €140. The driver is entitled to the fare accrued for the booking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dear sir/madam

On Monday I got sick in the back of the taxi and was told I need to pay a fine. I have no problem paying the fine and I have the money now but the problem is the driver wants cash. As I'm sure you can understand this does not bring much security to myself and I would much rather a bank transfer. Also when I tried to find the driver on Facebook I couldn't and when I looked up one of the numbers he gave me it was from Nigeria. I gave him my passport so that he could find me if I refuse to pay so he can bring me to court but I am more then willingly to pay however it all seems a bit out of the ordinary. I'm not saying that he's not legit or anything all I want is to pay the fine and be done with it any suggestions on what I should do next?

It is not a fine; it is a Soiling Fee. It forms part of the fare for the hiring of the taxi. The driver is entitled to ask for cash only; payment is on his terms and not yours. You are entitled to get a receipt upon payment of the fare owed but you can't call the shots here.

Non payment of this opens you up to be reported to the gards for non payment of a fare, which is a crime and which can land you in court. Cash may be tight for you at this time of year but bear in mind that his taxi is off the road not earning for anything from a few hours to a few days plus valet fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Just pay in cash and don’t get so drunk next time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Never give your passport to anyone. Infact, I would suggest not bringing it out at all, unless leaving the country. While it is a form of ID to be granted entry into clubs/pubs, and be served drink, a Garda ID or even a drivers licence would be best. You don't really want your passport falling into the wrong hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    While it is a form of ID to be granted entry into clubs/pubs, and be served drink
    someone correct me, as i'm very likely wrong - i think you're technically not meant to use your passport for these purposes? it's a state document for the purpose of travel, and using it to buy drink is a misuse of it/not taking adequate care of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

someone correct me, as i'm very likely wrong - i think you're technically not meant to use your passport for these purposes? it's a state document for the purpose of travel, and using it to buy drink is a misuse of it/not taking adequate care of it.

Young people use it as ID to get into places/get served drink. I would highly advise not using it for those purposes, but young people don't care once they get served.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

You will have problems if this passport goes missing!

Advertisement