Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this virtue signalling

Options

Comments

mariaalice wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/gabriel-byrne-sex-pests-and-abject-sexism-rife-in-rt%C3%A9-in-1970s-1.3317592

Gabriel Byrne is a feminist and supporter of women’s rights, he is also a very successful actor, wealthy and had been in relationships with many beautiful woman.

I don't think pointing to examples of sexism is virtue signalling. For starters, virtue signalling usually involves an expression of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Is this a shill for the Times? Or are we going off one sentence for the debate? Does anyone really pay to read newspapers?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/gabriel-byrne-sex-pests-and-abject-sexism-rife-in-rt%C3%A9-in-1970s-1.3317592

Gabriel Byrne is a feminist and supporter of women’s rights, he is also a very successful actor, wealthy and had been in relationships with many beautiful woman.

I'm not sure how the two are connected. You're saying you can't be a supporter of women's rights and date them...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I want to watch Into The West now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it doesn't even mention feminism in the article, OP is meh

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I'm not sure how the two are connected. You're saying you can't be a supporter of women's rights and date them...?

No but there seem to be a belief that the only reason men say they are feminist is to 'get in' with woman in the hope this will lead to intimacy so in other words pretending to be feminist in order to get sex.

No but there seem to be a belief that the only reason men say they are feminist is to 'get in' with woman in the hope this will lead to intimacy so in other words pretending to be feminist in order to get sex.

There's a tonne of people spewin shite on After Hours this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So by talking about a problem you are virtue signalling? Is this just a way to discredit people?

The impression I get by the use of "virtue signalling" to describe someone's opinions is that the people expressing these opinions should be ignored because they are only doing it to ingratiate themselves with other people. Whether that's the case or not, it shouldn't take away from the topic of discussion. It just seems like a distraction tactic, i.e. "Let's not debate this person's argument and focus on their possible motives". I only ever see it used in relation to people who speak up about a subject that doesn't affect them directly, e.g. Gabriel Byrne talking about sex pests who target women or men talking about feminism.

That's a terrible way to address the issue. Does it suggest that the issue doesn't exist? That these people aren't qualified to talk about it? Or only certain people are allowed to talk about it? Everyone should give their opinions on these matters. By getting an idea of everyone's ideas, we might be able to properly address these issues.

All too often, however, it just seems to be a label thrown at people who say something the person accusing them of virtue signalling doesn't agree with or want to hear.

Yes its a way of diminishing or dismissing a point of view they disagree with. I was also pointing out the faulty logic of so much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Commonly true in my experience from what I have directly heard and seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I miss the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

those males who claim to be male feminists (like the psychopats on LON twitter page , praising her on her every tweet) are the creepiest but in this case in the o/p is not virtue signalling..

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Aha, so only "muh vaginuh" feminism need apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I miss the 90s.

Kind of shocked alright at how bad this 21st century is turning out.

Twats have been allowed to herd fun into a corner.

I hope the third decade brings a backlash against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would agree OP - its the very much a subject thats topical right now (as opposed to 12 months ago), so a bit of bandwagon jumping.

I havent heard the interview and dont plan to. I have no time for the guy. He's up there with Liam Neeson, Brendan Gleeson and Liam Cunningham as Irish actors living permanently in New York or London, who go on RTE every 6 months or so to tell us what a bunch of pr*cks we all are back in Ireland...

.....or a variation on that theme.

Yes its a way of diminishing or dismissing a point of view they disagree with. I was also pointing out the faulty logic of so much of it.

Or perhaps your own logic is the one that is faulty, not anyone else's. You're saying men can't want equal rights for women while dating them. Or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I would agree OP - its the very much a subject thats topical right now (as opposed to 12 months ago), so a bit of bandwagon jumping.

I havent heard the interview and dont plan to. I have no time for the guy. He's up there with Liam Neeson, Brendan Gleeson and Liam Cunningham as Irish actors living permanently in New York or London, who go on RTE every 6 months or so to tell us what a bunch of pr*cks we all are back in Ireland...

.....or a variation on that theme.
    He was pretty blunt about Hollywood too. I genuinely find nothing to call issue with in the article. I don't even have an issue with all the other actors you're annoyed with. Broadcasting was terribly sexist across the globe in the seventies and RTE very much seems to have been part of the problem.

Byrne also worked for RTE during seventies and eighties, so pretty fair that he should be able to pass comment...

pitifulgod wrote: »
    He was pretty blunt about Hollywood too. I genuinely find nothing to call issue with in the article. I don't even have an issue with all the other actors you're annoyed with. Broadcasting was terribly sexist across the globe in the seventies and RTE very much seems to have been part of the problem.

Byrne also worked for RTE during seventies and eighties, so pretty fair that he should be able to pass comment...

Thats fine, different strokes for different folks.

I'm fed up with him lecturing people here. Particularly when he doesnt live here.

You are right, broadcasting was terribly sexist and RTE was no different. I'm sure thats correct also.

Here he is last week, on Homelessness. The moral lighthouse. Showing us the way.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/hollywood-star-gabriel-byrne-shameful-11629038

I get the impression to be honest that he really really dislikes Ireland and the people who live here. Of course he would say the opposite. Its a little bit like what Janan Ganesh said about the British Labour Party - that they love everything about the working class except the people. He's a bit the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

How dare he highlight the major issue of homelessness in Ireland? He should be ignoring them and saying it's great.... He still does productions in Ireland so is clearly in and out of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is this virtue signalling?

No. Easy enough. Any other questions ?

Or perhaps your own logic is the one that is faulty, not anyone else's. You're saying men can't want equal rights for women while dating them. Or whatever.

I am saying the exact opposite in fact.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    How dare he highlight the major issue of homelessness in Ireland? He should be ignoring them and saying it's great.... He still does productions in Ireland so is clearly in and out of the country.

Yeah, because if Gabriel Byrne hadnt 'highlighted' the issue, then there was a real risk that we would have missed the other ten thousand newspaper articles written about homelessness this year, and nobody would have known about the problem at all .....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

still no names for these sex pests roaming around RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

No, it's not virtue signalling—it's either virtue flaking or snow signalling or one of those other ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

those males who claim to be male feminists (like the psychopats on LON twitter page , praising her on her every tweet) are the creepiest but in this case in the o/p is not virtue signalling..

The psychomicks are even worse…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

She was pointing out a popular view among some feminists that men are just pretending to be feminist for the roide - I'm in no doubt that there are many 'nice guys' that do this. It wasn't her own viewpoint that she was expressing.

Virtue Signally.....defined as

"....public, empty gestures intended to convey socially approved attitude without any associated risk or sacrifice."

Yes, I do think this is very much virtue signalling. It certainly ticks those boxes.

Advertisement