Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media and targeted ads

Options
  • 19-12-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I noticed an advert in my Facebook feed. There an anti eu political group promoting an Irish exit from the eu. I reported the advert as it annoyed me.

Have any of you been targeted with political messages. Should this type of political targeting be illegal. I though all political parties had to get equal "air" time. With private feeds who knows what ads are been shown.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They pay for the advert then they get the time. Same with billboards and any other advertising. Equal air time only refers to the likes of TV and Radio discussion in the lead up to an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

They pay for the advert then they get the time. Same with billboards and any other advertising. Equal air time only refers to the likes of TV and Radio discussion in the lead up to an election.

Yeah but since everyone has there own feed who knows what kind of brexit type nonsense is being paid for. Some very powerful people want to see the EU broken up. It should be more transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭prunudo

Not political but still worrying none the less.
    I was discussing a place my friend visited (although never actually mentioned the name) in a WhatsApp chat group, he posted a few photos/videos, I asked him how he got on at it etc etc.

Not 5 minutes later an ad for same venue appeared on my Facebook feed. Whether it was done through geo tagging or what I don't know but it was freaky, hardly a coincidence, big brother is watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Irexit.

You just fit in the demographic they targeted on Facebook. It's crazy the ranges they can target; anything from the basics like age and gender, to whether you're a parent to teens, sports you like.

Was part of a Facebook ad group and someone was asking for advice on marketing their cremation business. I told them to target those with elderly parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I noticed an advert in my Facebook feed. There an anti eu political group promoting an Irish exit from the eu. I reported the advert as it annoyed me.

Have any of you been targeted with political messages. Should this type of political targeting be illegal. I though all political parties had to get equal "air" time. With private feeds who knows what ads are been shown.

As far as I know there should be a button / link on the ad that says "why am I seeing this", if you click it then it should show you which demographics were targeted by the advertiser.

They could have simply targeted everyone in Ireland within a certain age bracket, depending on how much money they spend will determine how many times the ad is shown (they usually get charged a few cent if ad appears in your feed).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

As far as I know there should be a button / link on the ad that says "why am I seeing this", if you click it then it should show you which demographics were targeted by the advertiser.

They could have simply targeted everyone in Ireland within a certain age bracket, depending on how much money they spend will determine how many times the ad is shown (they usually get charged a few cent if ad appears in your feed).

Wont happen. Too much info to consumer is bad news to facebook. Your a cash cow and they don't want rivals knowing how their segmentation system works.

Advertisement