Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours is over 18 years going

Options
  • 19-12-2017 9:47pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I accidentally hit the posts button and was taken to the oldest posts on AH. I couldn't believe it was from February 1999! That's almost 19 years ago. The same span from birth to starting college. Wow!

Did anyone else realise AH had been going nearly 18 years and has anyone on here been here from the very start.

The posts were very different back then. Much more frivolous and light-hearted! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everything was better back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Everything was better back in the day.

Especially nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Would love to see the meltdown in the Saipan thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Odelay

What was it called back then? Forget the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Odelay wrote: »
    What was it called back then? Forget the name.

Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Nearly time for it to start acting like a grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

And as you can see from some threads the fun is almost completely sucked out of it. Not long now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    And as you can see from some threads the fun is almost completely sucked out of it. Not long now!

I've just seen a thread that was good fun now closed and will be reopened without chat or quoting pics.... that's the end of that thread right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I've just seen a three that was good fun now closed and will be reopened without chat or quoting pics.... that's the end of that thread right there

Is that the hotties thread? Please no...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Do you know what is really weird Boards still has the same smilies! No wonder everyone has been disappearing.

Same emoticons for 19 years... :eek::confused: ← I feel neither

• Registered Users Posts: 30,064 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do you know what is really weird Boards still has the same smilies! No wonder everyone has been disappearing.

Same emoticons for 19 years... :eek::confused: ← I feel neither

And 5 days worth of threads fitted on one page, today threads from the last hour fill the page

Threads back then included "hairy women!" , "my top 5 women"
    Threads today are "ladies with short hair", Most beautiful women in the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's too boring, everything is racism thus and I'm offended by that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

jamesbere wrote: »
    It's too boring, everything is racism thus and I'm offended by that thread.

I blame the smartphone revolution people can keep posing away on the potty for goodness sake.
    Smartphones equals dumb users.

To post on those old boards you had to wait for your super slow computer to boot up and pray your dial up session did not put you into debt.
    32223871514_880cd9cf8a.jpg

Posting on the internet in those days felt a bit wild west like you were on some untamed frontier. Oddly it was also a lot more polite and chilled out as well. Nowadays the internet is just full of corporate advertising and w@nkers. I miss the 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I've just seen a thread that was good fun now closed and will be reopened without chat or quoting pics.... that's the end of that thread right there

Bloody hell. That's shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Posting on the internet in those days felt a bit wild west like you were on some untamed frontier. Oddly it was also a lot more polite and chilled out as well. Nowadays the internet is just full of corporate advertising and w@nkers. I miss the 90s

Fùck you no it isn't you absolute fa-.....

I mean yeah you're right. :PAC: But back in the day there were less idiots on the net, and even less on forums like this. Generally only people with some level of politeness and brains were on the internet. Now there are vastly more people on the internet. More people = more idiots with a voice. Especially with the advent of Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,720 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My memory is not as good as some people on here. So I had to look back to 1999. Very high class discussions indeed, and so polite.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh so true. I remember lots of people used to think everyone else online were weird basement people or paedos

• Registered Users Posts: 17,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Bloody hell. That's shocking.

I don't know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I don't know what you're talking about.

*cough*

Thread title and quoted post

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Piss off, I'm drunk and on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When was the peak?
    2005 - 2011 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Im on here since 2008, Ive had some great laughs and I have rubbed some people the wrong way, you can't win em all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

436629.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

436629.JPG

I re-regged a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Brings me back to the days when Boards went offline every night because the database had to be backed up. How I looked down upon their dev team as I amused myself with SQL Server.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Brings me back to the days when Boards went offline every night because the database had to be backed up. How I looked down upon their dev team as I amused myself with SQL Server.

Ah the nightly back up, was like the reverse alarm clock telling us it's time for bed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Snotty wrote: »
    Ah the nightly back up, was like the reverse alarm clock telling us it's time for bed.
    3am was a pretty normal time to go to bed though (at least I think it used to be 3am, its been a while since the nightly backup timeout existed).

Advertisement