Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Air 2017 (i5,8GB,128GB SSD) £690/780EUR

Options
  • 19-12-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

From Amazon Or Search B071X4YWBD if the link doesnt work. Click on New from: £674

Theyre back ordered but it had a date of stock coming back in before Christmas so it shouldnt be too long of a wait.

Theyre 1130EUR on Apple.ie, so its about 350EUR less. A good offer for those looking for a MacOS computer.

*waits patiently for someone to post about how great specs are on Windows laptops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Windows laptops have great specs btw..

Specsavers have great specs too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭893bet

So tempted but already stretched!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

893bet wrote: »
    So tempted but already stretched!

"Buy" now and you have a few days to cancel before they get it in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Tempted at this offer but are macs really that much better, I normally used for internet browsing and looking through pictures... Would a windows laptop for 400€ not do the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

epopnomis wrote: »
    Tempted at this offer but are macs really that much better, I normally used for internet browsing and looking through pictures... Would a windows laptop for 400€ not do the same job.

Not sure if serious but if so then yes absolutely, you could get a chromebook for around €200 that would more than do that job for you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

epopnomis wrote: »

They wouldn't be comparable really. This Macbook is a great deal for a Macbook, there's no denying that. They are and always expensive so you are paying a premium here. You're paying mostly for the OS and the generally nice hardware. This machine has an SSD (albeit a very small one) which is very fast. It will be lightning fast. Generally 400eur laptops do not have SSDs, although that is starting to change.

All in all this is a great deal if you are someone who was toying with the idea of a Mac in the first place. If you're not sure of the benefit then perhaps it's best to give this one a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Thanks op, pulled the trigger on this and the nvidia shield in the other thread this morning. The price of the MacBook seems to have gone up again since to £859

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

mickeyk wrote: »
    Thanks op, pulled the trigger on this and the nvidia shield in the other thread this morning. The price of the MacBook seems to have gone up again since to £859

I think you have to click on "New from £674" on desktop (PC/MacOS) browsers or "New & used from £674" on mobile browser and select buying from Amazon themselves to get the price of £674.
    Otherwise it stays on the £859 price which i think is the price from a marketplace seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The 256 GB version is also reduced down (£804 versus £1099 on Apple's uk site)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

duridian wrote: »
    I think you have to click on "New from £674" on desktop (PC/MacOS) browsers or "New & used from £674" on mobile browser and select buying from Amazon themselves to get the price of £674.
    Otherwise it stays on the £859 price which i think is the price from a marketplace seller.

Correct, my mistake. Is there a new model coming out or something? I have been looking at one for a while but couldn’t justify the cost, this makes it more palatable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Correct, my mistake. Is there a new model coming out or something? I have been looking at one for a while but couldn’t justify the cost, this makes it more palatable.

They reckon this will be the last one. The Macbook has taken its place as the ultra portable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The only thing with the Air is that it's a bit long in the tooth in a lot of ways. It does have modern processors/RAM/Storage, but everything else about it is quite old really. It's been in same form/case since 2013, it doesn't have a very high resolution screen (not full HD). Really the Macbook 12" that was released a couple of years back was the natural successor to the air. Far slimmer again, but lacking completely in ports asides from 1 USB C and a headphone jack.

These may not be issues, and for the price I don't think you could argue too much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The real difference for a casual user between the Air, and the MacBook / MacBook Pro is the retina screen.

The Air will do everything you need, but it won't have the glorious screen the others all have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

jacksie66 wrote: »

Care to suggest some?
    Thinking of updating mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭shalom

Hi ,
    Does anyone know if this would be suitable for a student for college?
    thanks

shalom wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Does anyone know if this would be suitable for a student for college?
    thanks

I mean it really depends on the course. It should be a decent option for most courses, but really we'd need to know more. It's not a terribly fast system, but will be fine for writing docs, browsing the web and even a decent machine for most programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I'd say what whiterebel said is bang on.

This also matches what they've done with the iPads.
    Especially since Apple themselves call the 2017 9.7" iPad the"iPad 5th gen".
    It seems they regard the iPad Air and Air 2 as a completely differentiated and now finished product line. Whereas I'd guess that many people, including myself, prior to that, thought the iPad Air was the 5th gen and Air 2 the 6th.

So anyway, for Apple to now end the Macbook Air line, leaving just the Macbook & Macbook Pro does sound extremely likely to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

jacksie66 wrote:

I run a VM with Mac OS on mine. So a Mac with better specs...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

OP you say in your description that it is 2017 model.
    second question asked on Amazon is answered by the seller. It is 2015 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Seve OB wrote: »
    OP you say in your description that it is 2017 model.
    second question asked on Amazon is answered by the seller. It is 2015 model.

That's one seller. The 2015 model had 1.6 GHz processor, the 2017 has 1.8GHz. The ad is for the 2017 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Seems to be gone now. I should have clicked to buy while I was thinking about it.... Feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

patch wrote: »
    Seems to be gone now. I should have clicked to buy while I was thinking about it.... Feck.

Dont worry come summer it will drop by a hundred or so fingers crossed

Advertisement