Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a new bike next year - recommendations

Options
  • 18-12-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

I haven't looked at bikes in a while, but am thinking of changing the hayabusa next year. Initially, i thought i wanted a big touring bike - something like the pan european, then i discovered that they don't make them new any more, so looked at the fjr 1300, then saw the r1 and thought oooh, then looked at the new blade, new gsxr, zzr1400, zx10r, then saw that there was a H2 SX (supercharged!!). From there I looked at the super tenere, the 1200 gs and an r6. After the r6 it was the triumph tiger and the s1000rr. I even looked at a v-rod.

In short, I dunno what the hell i want. All help welcome.

I will be using it primarily as a year round commuter but have an option on 4 wheels when it is really bad. I like power. I probably wont tour on it, but will have to carry cr@p to work. I would like some level of weather protection. I dont take pillions, and i like being comfortable (which is relative, as I found previous gsxrs have been comfortable).

good people of boards, what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Go to every main dealer and pick out some bikes you like, and test ride them.

It's a very personal choice to be honest.

If you're just looking for suggestions, here are some you haven't mentioned:

- BMW S1000XR
    - KTM super duke 1290

I think my next bike will be the XR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

yeah - will have to get out and look at them in the flesh. Who does demonstrator bikes?

Not sure on the KTM superduke. I did consider the xr, but it looks a bit high and i am a short arse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tuono.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Multistrada 950, Africa twin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What about the BMW 1000XR ?? all the fun of a sports bike without the sore back and you can carry stuff if you want.

There's an added bonus of being able to test drive one. Joe Duffys are happy to send people out on test machines unlike other shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lennymc wrote: »
    yeah - will have to get out and look at them in the flesh. Who does demonstrator bikes?

Most dealers will do demonstrators. I got test rides from Triumph Dublin and M50 Honda, wanted one on a Ducati but they didn't have a demonstration bike and wasn't dropping money on a new bike without a test ride. Make sure you bring your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Trip up to Boucher road is good for test rides, couple of dealers in same place, and they seem much more happy to get you out on anything and everything. Popped up to look at 1 bike a few months back, was out on 4 bikes before I knew it, and they kept telling me to take them for longer.

thos wrote: »
    Trip up to Boucher road is good for test rides, couple of dealers in same place, and they seem much more happy to get you out on anything and everything. Popped up to look at 1 bike a few months back, was out on 4 bikes before I knew it, and they kept telling me to take them for longer.

The lads up there are great to deal with , totally recommend them ;)

i will be near enough to duffys on Saturday, so will pop up for a look.

at the moment, i have myself half convinced that the s1000rr would be a perfectly suitable commuter.... I think i will just have to come to terms with the fact that i want a sports bike.

just need to convince the wife. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I probably wont tour on it, but will have to carry cr@p to work. I would like some level of weather protection. I dont take pillions, and i like being comfortable (which is relative, as I found previous gsxrs have been comfortable).

good people of boards, what should I do?

Sounds like you need a GoldWing

• Advertisement

Sounds like you need a GoldWing

i am old. :)

so, I am still driving myself mad here. I want a new bike, but I don't know what I want. It will primarily be a commuter, circa 20k per year. I hope to do some touring this year, and some track days.
    I have two options - keep the Hayabusa and get something else to add to the garage, or trade the Hayabusa and get one bike to do it all.
    I like torque, that roll on in top on the busa is great, so if replacing it I would need grunt. I have done sports bikes, so am not sure if I want to them again, but never say never.
    Budget is flexible up to a point, but I am not sure what that point is yet!
    So far I have looked at keeping the busa with a cb500x, Transalp, pan European, r1200rt, big naked bike, big tourer
    Selling the busa and having one bike had me looking at the r1200gs, xr1000, tiger 1200, speed triple, tenere, Africa twin, mt10, some kind of Harley, fjr1300,

I thought I had settled on keeping the busa and getting a cb500x, but the handling and lack of power concern me slightly.

Any other suggestions before I end up in the nut house! :)

What about a Ducati Multi-Strada ? f*ck loads of fun, can me toured on, tracked or even commuted.

Forgot about that. Was out looking at them last week before jd. I like the 950 for some reason over the 1260. Also looked at the supersport. Waiting for the tiger 800 to come in as well.

Anyone on here running either as a daily?

What is the reliability like on a modern ducati?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I had a CB500X, and just changed for a Tiger 800. Worlds apart, the Tiger is all day comfy, and a much more capable bike.

Yes you can but its about as exciting as a Dullville. :pac:

Couldn't agree more but the OP is asking one bike to wear a lot of hats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda's treatment of the V4 engine concept is shameful, the VFR1200 engine could be an amazing powerplant, but its been shoved into a heavy frame that doesn't even look that nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

so, I am still driving myself mad here. I want a new bike, but I don't know what I want. It will primarily be a commuter, circa 20k per year. I hope to do some touring this year, and some track days.
    I have two options - keep the Hayabusa and get something else to add to the garage, or trade the Hayabusa and get one bike to do it all.
    I like torque, that roll on in top on the busa is great, so if replacing it I would need grunt. I have done sports bikes, so am not sure if I want to them again, but never say never.
    Budget is flexible up to a point, but I am not sure what that point is yet!
    So far I have looked at keeping the busa with a cb500x, Transalp, pan European, r1200rt, big naked bike, big tourer
    Selling the busa and having one bike had me looking at the r1200gs, xr1000, tiger 1200, speed triple, tenere, Africa twin, mt10, some kind of Harley, fjr1300,

I thought I had settled on keeping the busa and getting a cb500x, but the handling and lack of power concern me slightly.

Any other suggestions before I end up in the nut house! :)

Newer Hayabusa?

There's a brand new one out now I think

nah - it's still the 2008 model. There was talk of a new turbo versioned one a while back iirc.

Currently looking at the completely impractical triumph street triple rs.....

Always wanted to get my hands on one of these V-MAX, supposed to be an absolute beast

Couldn't find it on the co.uk site so here's the merican version

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-heritage/models/vmax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Honda 50. That'll see you home.

But being serious the new Fireblade looks amazing. I'd get one but can't quite justify the price. yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭davidglanza

Kawasaki H2 sx or the zx10r would be my choice..

h2sx does look nice. I will be at the show in NI in a couple of weeks, will hope to get a look at one.

Advertisement