Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage time

Options
  • 18-12-2017 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I sent a letter to the Intreo Centre in Ballymun last Monday, I found out from them today that it hasn't arrived. It was posted from Glasnevin, I asked the guy in the post office today if it could be because I put a €1 stamp on an a4 size envelope, he said it was most likely due to the Christmas workload. I find this hard to believe for a letter that was basically going two miles up the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Seanachai wrote: »
    I sent a letter to the Intreo Centre in Ballymun last Monday, I found out from them today that it hasn't arrived. It was posted from Glasnevin, I asked the guy in the post office today if it could be because I put a €1 stamp on an a4 size envelope, he said it was most likely due to the Christmas workload. I find this hard to believe for a letter that was basically going two miles up the road.

Don't think it goes up the road, a lot goes to portlaoise then sorted and delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

MAJJ wrote: »
    Don't think it goes up the road, a lot goes to portlaoise then sorted and delivered.

They would actually bring the letter to Portlaoise for sorting? That's mad

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I suspect it would only go as far as the DMC for sorting (out by the airport).

• Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

are you 100% sure you sent the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Did you put it in the bin instead of a post box?

• Advertisement

monnies wrote: »
    are you 100% sure you sent the letter?

Yes, lol, I even remember the specific post box, I asked the guy behind the desk today if it is still in use, just to be sure. I had to use that one because the one outside my house has a very narrow slot on it.

Okay, didn't know that. Maybe somebody in their office has just lost it, it would hardly be in a sorting depot in Dublin for a full week.

Yes, lol, I even remember the specific post box, I asked the guy behind the desk today if it is still in use, just to be sure. I had to use that one because the one outside my house has a very narrow slot on it.

really it should have arrived the next day,
    if you had no return address on the back, it will end up in the "undelivered mail centre, as you obviously wrote the wrong address,.

you would be better off sending the same letter again asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

The price for an A4 size letter (under 100g) is €1.65 so it will probably be sent back to you as 'underpaid' if your name and address is in the letter.

monnies wrote: »
    really it should have arrived the next day,
    if you had no return address on the back, it will end up in the "undelivered mail centre, as you obviously wrote the wrong address,.

you would be better off sending the same letter again asap

I wrote the correct address, I'm OCD about these things, I'd say it's either a stamp price or misplacement issue. But I put my address on the envelope so they should have sent it back to me if it was the wrong address or the stamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Always register important letters, the tracking number is really worth the extra couple of quid

phasers wrote: »
    Always register important letters, the tracking number is really worth the extra couple of quid

Definitely, it's drives me bonkers not knowing where it's at or if it's lying in a gutter after falling out of a sack.

If it was put in the underpaid box would they not have sent it back to me by now? Or is this box a thing that is opened once a month or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

If it was put in the underpaid box would they not have sent it back to me by now? Or is this box a thing that is opened once a month or something?

I think they might be a little busy at this time of year dealing with the 'fully paid items.'

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get it back till after the Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Definitely, it's drives me bonkers not knowing where it's at or if it's lying in a gutter after falling out of a sack.

Sounds like my conception

• Registered Users Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ED E wrote: »
    I suspect it would only go as far as the DMC for sorting (out by the airport).

Do they have OCR scanners around the country like that?

With Ireland being so small, I'd have expected only 2-3 large sorting depots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Their automated yokamebobs read address' better without punctuation.
    I think it's one of life's great dilemmas whether to write the address
    without commas and full stops, like how you're supposed to, or to write
    the address grammatically correct. Neither way is sufficient or leaves me
    happy.

Your letter Seanchai, would get back to you quicker with a return
    address on the top left of the envelope. Otherwise someone has to open the
    mail and try and find an address. There's probably thousands of such mail put aside.
    Also if you were posting anything radioactive, this is prohibited, and your mail would not be delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Seanachai wrote:

It didn't go 2 miles up the road. It had to go to be sorted first.

I had a letter take 4 weeks to get from Dublin 5 to Swords last year. Usually I find an post pretty good though

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Their automated yokamebobs read address' better without punctuation.
    I think it's one of life's great dilemmas whether to write the address
    without commas and full stops, like how you're supposed to, or to write
    the address grammatically correct. Neither way is sufficient or leaves me
    happy.

Your letter Seanchai, would get back to you quicker with a return
    address on the top left of the envelope. Otherwise someone has to open the
    mail and try and find an address. There's probably thousands of such mail put aside.
    Also if you were posting anything radioactive, this is prohibited, and your mail would not be delivered.

The return address was on the corner of the envelope, I'm thinking now that it's on the long finger in a box that nobody is that a**sed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Today I received 2 items that were shipped from China on December 11th 2017. Jealous?

• Advertisement

Today I received 2 items that were shipped from China on December 11th 2017. Jealous?

Doesn't surprise me, I order stuff from a US website sometimes and it gets here in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If the addressee has a Freepost licence there is no need for a stamp. Either they will supply envelopes for this purpose, or advise correspondents to write Freepost in the address when using ordinary envelopes.

If Freepost does not appear in the address it needs a stamp.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056948994&page=2

The return address was on the corner of the envelope, I'm thinking now that it's on the long finger in a box that nobody is that a**sed about.

I take it, this is not a letter that can simply be resent?

Online Postal Enquiry Form M85

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Hang on OP, are you suggesting anpost of all places, ****ed something up? Don't even suggest that to me, I just won't believe it.

I wrote the correct address, I'm OCD about these things, I'd say it's either a stamp price or misplacement issue. But I put my address on the envelope so they should have sent it back to me if it was the wrong address or the stamp.

as i said earlier it would be faster to resend the letter,
    if the postage was too low the computer would have switched it out, and your letter is in limerick ( with all other hassle post>

How did you get M85 into your link, when it is M58?

How did you get M85 into your link, when it is M58?

I sent it by reverse charge.

I sent it by reverse charge.

I realised it was just a typo after I posted. It is known as "the old reverse figure" by people who have to do balances of accounts.

I filled out that form On Monday, I haven't gotten a response. I'll have to just get a new form and I think I'll hand deliver it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was probably stolen..

Advertisement