Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company/Annual Discount Irish Rail

Options
  • 18-12-2017 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I am considering a Job offer that would require me to commute. It would be a 4 hour return commute each day so I wouldn't consider driving however taking the train would be fine as I will have the internet and can chill out and relax to a certain extent, Bus route is much longer.

However it costs €34 a day return via Irish Rail. When I looked at the monthly discount if I read it correctly it was more than paying for Monday to Friday. Think it was €790 and I expect there will be around 21 work days in a month so that is only €714 so unless I was using it 7 days a week it wouldn't even be a discount.

Does anyone know if there is a special discounts for companies or scheme where work can pay for an annual ticket (assuming a good discount) and I pay them every month or something like that to bring the cost down a bit.

In a contract so moving isnt viable right now and rent and costs are so much cheaper here its a significant saving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look up tax saver....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are the 34 euro fares walk up or online fares?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Online, looks like with tax saver can get it down to about 500 a month, 550 if you include unlimited Luas so thats not too bad but they didnt have my exact route so I emailed for an exact price. Thanks for the direction, I seen that before and thought it was more complicated and only a small discount but seems easy enough to get setup and a reasonable discount.

Seems a bit unfair that they give you more off the more tax you pay, would think people on lower earnings would need it more. I would be on the higher bracket so works out better for me but seems a bit unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dvdfan wrote: »
    Online, looks like with tax saver can get it down to about 500 a month, 550 if you include unlimited Luas so thats not too bad but they didnt have my exact route so I emailed for an exact price. Thanks for the direction, I seen that before and thought it was more complicated and only a small discount but seems easy enough to get setup and a reasonable discount.

Seems a bit unfair that they give you more off the more tax you pay, would think people on lower earnings would need it more. I would be on the higher bracket so works out better for me but seems a bit unfair.

Note your new employer must be part in tax saver scheme, if they don't you cannot get the discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

From where to where?

We can get creative

Pricing for 12 months worst case is 5050

Assuming
    a) employer willing to split over 12 months
    b) higher rate of tax
    c) employer in the taxsaver scheme

You end up paying about 50% of that in real terms so about 2600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In a contract so moving isnt viable right now and rent and costs are so much cheaper here its a significant saving.
    Note that you can assign residential contracts. Is the rent so much cheaper that you will waste 4 hours a day and cost thousands of euros to travel?
    Online, looks like with tax saver can get it down to about 500 a month, 550 if you include unlimited Luas so thats not too bad but they didnt have my exact route so I emailed for an exact price.
    Check the fares here: http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2018.php

Advertisement