Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 pubs

Options
  • 18-12-2017 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Well I don't know about you, but I can't wait to have my nice pint, chat and catch up with my mates ruined by a parcel of loud obnoxious cnuts in stupid jumpers.

I am really curious about this 'tradition'. Where did it originate? Is it Irish? Do the Brits do it?

I'd never ever heard of it before about 2008. Who came up with it? Would it be possible to find them and strangle them slowly with a wacky christmas jumper?

Curious to see if anyone in AH can shed any light.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Sky King wrote: »
    Well I don't know about you, but I can't wait to have my nice pint, chat and catch up with my mates ruined by a parcel of loud obnoxious cnuts in stupid jumpers.

I am really curious about this 'tradition'. Where did it originate? Is it Irish? Do the Brits do it?

I'd never ever heard of it before about 2008. Who came up with it? Would it be possible to find them and strangle them slowly with a wacky christmas jumper?

Curious to see if anyone in AH can shed any light.

I love a nice pint after work and the two weeks before is utterly ruined by these imbeciles.

I grew up in the North of England and there's "Mad Friday" but that's just the once a year drinkers getting wrecked on two beers and a shot.

Nothing as organised as 12 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Well I don't know about you, but I can't wait to get ****faced in several pubs, chatting and catching up with my mates ruined by various flat cap wearing bore bags supping pints of Guinness with a face scrooge would be proud of...

Bah Humbug to you sir!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It's only a bit of craic, bring sociable. It's a couple of weeks once a year. Get over yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Is that not an average Friday/Saturday night in a pub anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Have done it in the past, not all that enamored with it. At the same time, don't understand the severe animosity some have to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Showing my age here - I first did one in 1998. The lad who organised it had been doing them from the early 90s :eek::eek::eek: There was none of this jumpers shíte or smashing glasses when leaving each one - just a good old fashioned pub crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Have done it in the past, not all that enamored with it. At the same time, don't understand the severe animosity some have to it.

I found it good crack, just one thing I didn't like about it was if you found a good spot and bit of crack you'd move on and then the next spot could be full of people like the OP, sitting there giving ye evil looks with the place as sad as a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Have done it in the past, not all that enamored with it.  At the same time, don't understand the severe animosity some have to it.
    It's other people having fun, sometimes pretty loudly but that seems to be most people's issue with it.

I've done it a couple of times and it was fun enough. One comment I do see frequently is "These people who only drink once a year", who are these people? Maybe they just stay local but feel that a Twelve Pubs is an occasion worth going into town for.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Showing my age here - I first did one in 1998.  The lad who organised it had been doing them from the early 90s :eek::eek::eek:  There was none of this jumpers shíte or smashing glasses when leaving each one - just a good old fashioned pub crawl.
    I've not heard of anyone smashing a glass before leaving as a rule.

To be honest the Twelve Pubs is just a "good old fashioned pub crawl" it's just that there's a lot of groups doing it around the same few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The earliest I remember doing it is Christmas 2004. It was established then but not the same as now, nobody wore Christmas jumpers. But we did get wrecked.

I just don't have the time for it anymore. You need the full day, and then book the toilets for a good half day following it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Maybe a sign of my stage in life and having enjoyed a few 12 pubs over the years but now I would prefer to have 12 pints in one pub than 1 pint in 12 pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

frag420 wrote: »
    Well I don't know about you, but I can't wait to get ****faced in several pubs, chatting and catching up with my mates ruined by various flat cap wearing bore bags supping pints of Guinness with a face scrooge would be proud of...

Bah Humbug to you sir!!

Ah feck off!
    Happy Christmas!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I'm an old cynical alcoholic bastard but I was out on Friday and everywhere we went that was nice and calm to drink in would be infiltrated by these morons every now and again and it was a minor annoyance.
    I think it was something invented maybe 10 years ago or something? Seems to be mostly D4 types into it from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Probably depends which pub you're in when the groups arrive......

.....if they're on pub #1, it's good craic - if you happen to be in pub #12 its feckin messy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Do what I do....go to a pub that bans the 12 pub ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

It's just a standard pub crawl organized around christmas time. You just notice it more with ones that wear silly xmas jumpers.

Never seen anyone smashing glasses though, that's a new one to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Nokotan wrote: »
    I've not heard of anyone smashing a glass before leaving as a rule.

Made the mistake of doing it on Baggot Street one year, the same day as a Leinster match. It was horror show. And more than one group were smashing glasses as they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't know how anyone does 12 pints in 12 pubs :pac:
    Don't get me wrong I like a drink. Quite fondly if I am to be honest. I could drink 12 cans at home. It would be pushing it and i'd be locked and in bits the next day. But 12 pub pints? :o

There is just something about a pint that knocks you back more than a can. Maybe it's cause you drink quicker, maybe it's the fresh air. But you'd be gee eyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Don't know how anyone does 12 pints in 12 pubs :pac:
    Don't get me wrong I like a drink. Quite fondly if I am to be honest. I could drink 12 cans at home. It would be pushing it and i'd be locked and in bits the next day. But 12 pub pints? :o

There is just something about a pint that knocks you back more than a can. Maybe it's cause you drink quicker, maybe it's the fresh air. But you'd be gee eyed.

Yes I'd be in blackout territory after 8 or so so I doubt I'd remember the last 4 pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Or maybe it's the extra 68ml?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Do people actually do the 12 pubs? We always said we were gonna do it, then we'd just end up staying in the first pub because we can't be arsed with that nonsense. Rules and all? Fuck you, don't tell me how to drink my beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

First I'd heard of it was back around 2007/2008, folk would finish Xmas exams in UCC, head to the campus bar for one and head down Barrack Street stopping in 11 others on the way to town. Nothing "organised", no laminated route, jumpers, pub rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The annual complain about the 12 pubs thread

razorblunt wrote: »
    First I'd heard of it was back around 2007/2008, folk would finish Xmas exams in UCC, head to the campus bar for one and head down Barrack Street stopping in 11 others on the way to town. Nothing "organised", no laminated route, jumpers, pub rules.
    Some of the rules are fun, usually harmless. 

We had one that you'd to kiss one of the other lads in the group on the cheek before having a drink.

Between pubs someone would shout "Shark" everyone would have to get their feet off of the ground (jumping on to a wall etc.).

Using someone's first name instead of their nickname. The penalty was having to do a shot but for the most part it wasn't enforced particularly strongly. 

Silly stuff but it was fun and sure what's wrong with fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It seems like the same arguments come out around alcohol itself.

If people are drinking but not bothering other people, then fine (99.9% of cases)
    If people are drinking but acting the d!ck, then not fine. This applies when not drinking as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I rang that Oxford Dictionary crowd.

Someone has mixed up the definitions of 'fun' and 'hell'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The thought of having to move 12 times in a night gives me anxiety. I'm drunk and happy I haven't got the mental capacity to organise anything past that except greasy food and jumping in a taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

A few years ago I picked up a guy who was walking on the white line in the middle of the road, full drunk. He was about 20/21 years old. I turned the car and drove back into town. He was just about able to tell me where his friends were, they had been doing the 12 pubs thing and I'd say he had been refused any more drink. I didn't want him in the car any longer in case he would throw up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Not only a Dublin thing, it has now spread all over the country.

A 12s pub reveler was floored one year in my local by an angry farmer.

I've never saw anyone go down in such a way before. I believe pollaxed (sp?) is the expression?

Advertisement