Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waze Navigation for Motorcycles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've never used it. Is it better than google maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Well, Google own Waze, so are pulling in some of the Waze traffic data, but Waze is mostly working from user sourced data - so the GPS data from your phone, plus any events etc you are recording. So there is a critical mass - the more that use it, the better the data.
    Waze is great at finding little rat runs and redirecting on the fly, I found Google kept to the main routes.
    Google dont do Motorcycle vehicle type yet - just car or bicycle, so this is new for Waze.
    I've used it for a couple of years in the car, so generally find it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

If you've got to use waze on a motorbike to avoid traffic, you're doing it wrong :-P

I only use nav when I'm touring in new places, day to day it's a distraction IMO, better to keep your eyes on the road, traffic and surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thos wrote: »
    Waze announced a new 'Motorcycle' mode for their navigation app a few weeks ago, which is good to hear. I use Waze a lot in the car for getting around the city, so need to get a decent mount to see what it's like for bikes.
    It's ability to share ETA is also pretty cool for letting the wife know you're ok and on the way (get the dinner on!)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/december/google-maps-waze-for-motorcycles/

Video review here too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUROPbSIVo

You can send ETA and share your journey with Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

That could be good for Taxi drivers (like me - part time), because usually motorcycles can make the turns that buses and taxis take but not private cars. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

That could be good for Taxi drivers (like me - part time), because usually motorcycles can make the turns that buses and taxis take but not private cars. :)
    They already have a Taxi mode for bus lanes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like the satellite view on google maps, doesn't seem to be available on waze. I dunno, think if you use something for so long, changing from it is too hard! I tried using waze but just prefer google maps cos I'm used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Waze is very similar to Google Maps...

They pool the same traffic information, but Waze has more features and is used to test features before they get to the mainstream Google Maps (almost like a Beta). The origins of Waze was to give the Israeli military mapping data throughout the world supplied for free by its users.

1. You can input delays in Waze
    2. Waze gives speeding and speed limit info
    3. GM uses the user data from Waze, but doesn't allow you to input data
    4. Waze is interactive and allows user input, GM is not
    5. Waze shows speed cameras, traffic light cameras, speed vans, police cars etc...

Advertisement