Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost back from QS - 127.5m sq new build

Options
  • 17-12-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Cost back from QS for 127.5m sq modern contemporary flat roof bungalow. Apologies for the formatting, just copied from excel sheet. Getting it costed was a great idea and to my mind money well spent as there are now no surprises once tender prices come back.
    I was surprised by the cost of the roof. Its limestone gravel over asphalt flat roof.
    QS did a great job in my opinion he even costed glazing with well known glazing provider.

Preliminaries including scaffolding, air tightness testing, cleaning, insurances, etc 5000

Substructure 32234
    External & Internal Walls 42142
    Ceilings 4182
    Roof 47817
    Doors & Windows, 2nd fix joinery 25901
    Electrical Installation 5000
    Plumbing & Heating (Oil fired Boiler & radiators) 11000
    Solar Panels 5000
    Sanitary Ware 3000

Drainage including treatment unit, percolation, etc 10000
    Services 1000
    Pipe open drain to front boundary. Provisional as detail to be agreed with County Council. 3000

Builders Drive 1500
    Planters, Screen walls & Paving / Paths 14575
    Driveway and Parking Area 3040
    Front Boundary Wall (Provisional) 6500
    Landscaping 2000

Painting (Internal & External) 5500
    Wall tiling 600
    Fitted Kitchen & Cabinetry 10000
    2 no stoves & 2 no flues 6000

VAT @ 13.5% 33073
    Estimated Costs to Construct Dwelling including Kitchen, Wall tiling, Decoration and Site Works. € 278064

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Cost back from QS for 127.5m sq modern contemporary flat roof bungalow. Apologies for the formatting, just copied from excel sheet. Getting it costed was a great idea and to my mind money well spent as there are now no surprises once tender prices come back.
    I was surprised by the cost of the roof. Its limestone gravel over asphalt flat roof.
    QS did a great job in my opinion he even costed glazing with well known glazing provider.

Preliminaries including scaffolding, air tightness testing, cleaning, insurances, etc 5000

Substructure 32234
    External & Internal Walls 42142
    Ceilings 4182
    Roof 47817
    Doors & Windows, 2nd fix joinery 25901
    Solar Panels 5000
    Sanitary Ware 3000

Services 1000
    Pipe open drain to front boundary. Provisional as detail to be agreed with County Council. 3000

Builders Drive 1500
    Landscaping 2000

Wall tiling 600

VAT @ 13.5% 33073
    Estimated Costs to Construct Dwelling including Kitchen, Wall tiling, Decoration and Site Works. € 278064

What part of the world are you in? I have built a house twice this size for less, with a builder doing all the work outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭koheim

madmac187 wrote: »
    What part of the world are you in? I have built a house twice this size for less, with a builder doing all the work outlined above.

I hear this all the time, I would love it if you could cost your house as detailed as Gimme Stitches so we could see where the differences are...you have already built it so lets compare please

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

Ya, can't really compare two one off builds and cost of labour/building has gone up in the last 12-18 months surely. Would advise the OP to get a really detailed specification and drawings done up before tendering (if going to contractor). Write everything done so they're pricing for what you actually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Way too high for the size of the house I'd say.
    I've had a quick look at your quotes and changed a few to a more realistic price.

Substructure 32234? 12500 more like unless you're building in a swamp
    External & Internal Walls 42142 ? blocks would cost about 4000, sand and cement 1000 cills and lintels 800 where the hell is the rest of that coming from?
    Ceilings 4182
    Roof 47817 ? why ? 25000 and that would be on the high side.
    Doors & Windows, 2nd fix joinery 25901? seems far too high also.
    Solar Panels 5000
    Sanitary Ware 3000

Services 1000

Builders Drive 1500
    Landscaping 2000

Wall tiling 600

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭enricoh

75k + vat for subfloor and walls sounds bananas high to me, especially for a bungalow. Are we talking dalkey or Donegal here. 5k for electrics is pretty good. I'm interested in doing the walls n subfloor for you! Not so much the electrics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

To comment on the skeleton structure of the house fair enough and but surely commenting on the costings provided for fines and 2nd fix is pointless. Every house is different. In january I'm starting fitting the 2nd fix carpentry and joinery to a one off house in Cork at a cost of 17,500euro............labour only. Now in my life I'll probably never see such a finish in a house again but we did lots last year in the 2-3k market. All I'm saying is ever house is different. If you get four different qs they'll all be in the same region overall but could allocate costings differently. The first thing that hit me here was that 5k is too small for prelims but I'm unfamiliar with the project.

OP if you're happy with the costing run with it if not adjust and reallocate. Just remember the more information you give the more accurate the costing. Also if your costing is for a self build it's fine, if you're now going out to tender with contractors it may not resemble their tender prices. Prices are steadily climbing and the demand for trades is driving up the rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

An actual picture of the intended build would be a help. then we might have an idea where all the excess costs is coming from.

Advertisement