Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw sharpening

Options
  • 17-12-2017 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭

My technique must not be the best because my saw is dragging badly to the left as I cut. Is there an easy way to fix this or do I fork out for a new chain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Have you made sure the angle is the same on each cutter, each cutter is the same length and filed down the bumper if needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I had something like this and messed around with it for a long time. went to one repair shop told them what was wrong and they sharpened one side of the saw to even out the other. didn't work out and in the long run I just got it machine sharpened on both sides. there should be no need to buy a new one. If it were me I would bring to a chainsaw shop and get it machine sharpened. My local one charges €5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Could you have damaged the bar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Jamesgrace

Even up the teeth as mentioned above, sharpening well is a matter of practice and patience, you'll get better as you go and won't be relying on a shop to do it. Little and often is best!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

My technique must not be the best because my saw is dragging badly to the left as I cut. Is there an easy way to fix this or do I fork out for a new chain?

Howdy Bogman,
    I'd suggest, checking all your stuff to find the problem.
    Check the length of the cutters on both sides of the chain, even them all out to the correct angle and depth (I use a cheap lidl electric chain sharpener or if in the forest, then a stihl sharpening guide and file), after this operation all should be sharp and regular.
    Next check your depth gauges and file them all the same (i use a flat file and a cheap Oregon metal gauge for this),

Now you need to check the bar and sprocket, examine the underside of the saw chain for undue wear, examine the sprocket, if worn badly replace. The bar should be checked for a burr on the edges of the chain groove, the burrs need to be removed with a fine flat file. Often one side of the bar top gets worn more than another especially when a saw has been cutting badly, this can be corrected with a bar dressing tool, or by careful draw filing, or on an electric sanding belt (not my choice), the flats on the top of the bar need to be flat, even, and square.
    hope this helps
    using a sharp saw all the time is a pleasure, and well worth the effort of getting good at sharp.
    tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shootermcgee

When you edge a chain the side you find the hardest to edge,give it a extra couple of rubs with the file because when you edge the chain on the good side.you wear the chain faster on that side without knowing that you are doing it and causing it to cut sideways also look at your bar

Advertisement