Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert biology

Options
  • 17-12-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how assessment for the LC Biology is broken down for both ordinary and higher level. In other words, how much goes for your book of experiments and how much for the exam. I can't seem to find anything on examinations.ie. I did my LC in 2012 but and didn't do a science so am thinking of sitting one now.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

All for the exam, ordinary and higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    All for the exam, ordinary and higher.

So even though you have to do the experiments, they're not actually worth any marks? In that case, can an external candidate get away with not actually doing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I don't know.
    They're examined on sect b of the exam paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

Also, does anyone know when the course syllabus was last changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

LUFC123 wrote: »
    So even though you have to do the experiments, they're not actually worth any marks? In that case, can an external candidate get away with not actually doing them?

Apparently the chief examiners randomly visit schools around April to inspect experiment copies. If they are not satisfactory than the student can be stopped from sitting an exam. I'm not sure how true this is but it might not be worth the risk of not doing them.

Colleges and ITs tend to have one-day courses in which they do all the experiments. If you could attend one of those and do the write-ups yourself that'd most definitely cover you.
    LUFC123 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know when the course syllabus was last changed?

2004 onwards is the same course as the one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

You don't get any marks for maintaining the experiment copy but I found that it helps with learning for section b of the exam

Advertisement