Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Facebook Exec says tool "destroying society"

Options
  • 17-12-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭

https://m.independent.ie/business/technology/why-this-former-facebook-exec-banned-his-own-children-from-the-social-media-platform-36401789.html

Interesting and follows on from former company president saying same thing (and other social media tools)

I see some of the real benefits (instant communication) but I have always thought that this form of social media was both addicitve and narcissistic (to an unhinged level) and would have bad psychological effects on younger generations.

The underlying message seems to be to keep your kids from these tools as long as possible. Very hard to do given peer pressure to be honest.

It's not just psychological damage though is it? One example that gets no attention is the simple ability to write properly is dying due to over use and reliance on mobile technology and you'd have to be concerned about the effects on your child's personal social interaction ability. That's before you get to the feedback loop where the most psychotic and debased opinions can be constantly reaffirmed for anyone.

Genie is long out of the bottle so I've no idea what the answer is.

I agree with doing best to keep kids away from it though.

Is it hopeless to try and encourage people away from social media reliance/addiction at this point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it hopeless to try and encourage people away from social media reliance/addiction at this point?

Possibly, but you d be surprised of the amount of people that simply have little or no interest in it, or have cancelled their account, realising, a lot of it is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Possibly, but you d be surprised of the amount of people that simply have little or no interest in it, or have cancelled their account, realising, a lot of it is nonsense

Yes that RTE sports producer has canceled his two Facebook accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The only "social media" I use is boards and whatsapp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The only "social media" I use is boards and whatsapp

Can discussion forums like boards be considered social media as generally you won't know the person you are communicating with?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can discussion forums like boards be considered social media as generally you won't know the person you are communicating with?
    Hence the " "
    Not really. The anonymity allows for a more frank discussion on controversial topics which is to be welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's not a tool that's destroying society - it's a tool that is being abused and thus people's usage of it is destroying society.

Tools used wisely aid people. Tools used incorrectly don't.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Facebook is just nonsense. Glad I deactivated mine, happier without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

The amount of spam on it is just insane

Really really distorts reality for those susceptible to it. They like it and spread the misinformation like a virus

Innocent people in Ireland have been lynched by mobs, mistaken and accused of being a pedophile. It’s frightening.

A lot of people genuinely get their news from social media and do no basic checking on the source

Then there’s Leo and his spin machine (an i’m not talking Varadkar) peddling complete and utter horse ****

Also there’s the “ads” for cheap refurbished iPhones from pages that didn’t exist yesterday

It’s a complete minefield of spam and fake news. Facebook, for all their staff can’t monitor everything

Advertisement