Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best type of cavity wall insulation when electric cables not in a conduit

• 16-12-2017 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

We are going to get our cavity walls filled. We noticed (when we were getting new windows installed) that our electric cables seem to be running down the cavity and are not in a conduit. Can we still fill our cavity walls in this instance? Or is there a particular type of insulation which might work?
    Would really love to hear some opinions.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Refer to the agrement (or equivalent) cert of the product to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

PVC cable in contact with EPS insulation (eg standard white aeroboard) degrades. There is some chemical reaction that attacks the PVC insulation and makes it crack/go brittle.
    Polyurethane type boards and foams do not have this problem.

If you were pumping in EPS bonded bead, the resinous bonding agent "might" be enough to prevent direct contact between the PVC and the EPS. But there is a lack of information about all this, unfortunately.
    If you want peace of mind, go for a closed cell polyurethane foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

so what about the requirement to have power cables sleeved when encased in insulation?
    They are designed to lose heat to air.....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Which closed-cell PU foams have NSAI or equivalent certification for use in (presumably block) cavity retrofits where there is cabling in the cavity?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

PVC cable in contact with EPS insulation (eg standard white aeroboard) degrades. There is some chemical reaction that attacks the PVC insulation and makes it crack/go brittle.
    Polyurethane type boards and foams do not have this problem.

If you were pumping in EPS bonded bead, the resinous bonding agent "might" be enough to prevent direct contact between the PVC and the EPS. But there is a lack of information about all this, unfortunately.

Can you back any of this up?

OP I doubt very much the electrician ran the service in the cavity. If they did, start looking at a re-wire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BryanF wrote: »
    Can you back any of this up?

OP I doubt very much the electrician ran the service in the cavity. If they did, start looking at a re-wire.

https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/q-day-pvc-cable-conduit-when-0

Polystyrene suffers from cable degredation due to the plasticiser in the polystyrene transferring into the pvc of the cable sheeth degrading it on long term contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/q-day-pvc-cable-conduit-when-0

Polystyrene suffers from cable degredation due to the plasticiser in the polystyrene transferring into the pvc of the cable sheeth degrading it on long term contact

I read it the other way around

"If PVC cable passes through expanded polysytrene insulation, it requires to be inside conduit to prevent migration of the plasticiser from the cable to the polystyrene."

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I read it the other way around

"If PVC cable passes through expanded polysytrene insulation, it requires to be inside conduit to prevent migration of the plasticiser from the cable to the polystyrene."

Fair point! Same result :)

Advertisement