Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the poor criticize the rich?

Options
  • 16-12-2017 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Why do poor people criticize and bad mouth rich people. Yet when those same people happen to fall into a bit of money they begin to look down their noses at their former comrades?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its a disgrace alright. :mad:

Who's up for a chicken curry? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

nails1 wrote: »
    Why do poor people criticize and bad mouth rich people. Yet when those same people happen to fall into a bit of money they begin to look down their noses at their former comrades?

It costs us nothing. That's why.

Feck off rich people.Hope your xmas caviar is out of date on the 24th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

It's a bit like the Niagara Falls isn't it? The giant never stops pissing.

Or maybe that has fluck all to do with it. Pour the brandy James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

I dont look down my nose at peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Dunno. You’re poor so why not tell us?

I’m just a poor boy. I need no sympathy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why do the rich criticise the poor? Have they nothing better to be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Why do poor people criticize and bad mouth rich people.

They're just jelly, the filthy povos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Why do the rich criticise the poor? Have they nothing better to be doing?

If you take your foot off their heads those riff raff do get notions no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

It's just a case of we all want what we can't have. We all strive to see if the grass is really greener on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Hi Leo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I criticise everyone. I'm also rich and criticise other rich people.

Are you sensing revolution in the air by any chance.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A good horse whipping would let the peasants remember their place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

All humans criticize and generally otherwise look down on whatever group they're not part of, believing them to be in some way less human than themselves. Social status, wealth, race, gender— Whatever.

It's how you end up with sentiments like "eat the rich", "all men are bstards", etc.

I think it comes from a combination of jealousy (the poor envy the rich their money; the rich envy the poor the circumstance of not being envied/targeted) plus an awareness of limited resources: you know there's not enough to go around, so you immediately start trying to downgrade the group you're not part of so you don't feel bad about screwing them over to ensure your group gets stuff.

Humans are funny animals.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 grumpy_mick

funny the one country in the developed world where inequality is through the roof ( usa ) , the poor often line up to take a hit so the buffets and gates of this world dont have to ( what explains poor southerners voting GOP over and over ) , i dont know if that due to generations of conditioning where how wealthy you are is a gauge of how decent you are or due to that unique american optimism to improve ones lot through free enterprise etc

i dont believe in it personally but sort of admire the spirit of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do those who are working criticise those out of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,084 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Old money feared and revered, new money where'd he get all that he's just a ****. The way it's been always and forever.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 grumpy_mick

Why do those who are working criticise those out of work?

because it should never be more rewarding to not work than to work , many believe that even it is more rewarding to not work , you should not make the choice to stay on welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Hmm, let me guess. Because the only nonviolent means that the poor have to try to address the problems of greed and inequity are their peaceful protests? The rich have so many more options to solve these problems. Look at all the times when people who have a community-given pittance are held up to those who work for a subsistence wage as wasters. This is not done for a benign reason. It is to take the heat off the exploiters who make both their lives miserable. Attention needs to be paid to this, and since we can't do it with flowers and compliments, it has to be done with protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Jealousy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

because it should never be more rewarding to not work than to work , many believe that even it is more rewarding to not work , you should not make the choice to stay on welfare

Very few do make that choice....what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jealousy, begrudgery, laziness

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Couchpotato82

biko wrote: »
    Jealousy, begrudgery, laziness

In a nut shell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I agree, I sat beside one once when I used to use public transport and it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Because you can only be rich if there's poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Just wondering .... At what stage would you call yourself poor .

Myself and Mrs earn just above minimum wage , we pay our mortgage on a house that's in estate that also homes a solisiter a few doors up . A guard and nurse also.

We both have nice cars that are over 10 years old that we bought for cash .

So would we be considered poor ?? Maybe there needs to be another group of people that falls between rich and poor . I certainly don't feel like I'm poor ,

We just do things with our kids that don't put us under financial pressure like go bike riding, or go to beech , camping. No fancy sun holiday in the carabean for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Simpla wrote:
    I think some people think poor people are lazy. Poor people are poor due to many circumstances.

When money and wealth is moving from some developing to developed countries, you gotta start asking some serious questions!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Just wondering .... At what stage would you call yourself poor .

The more important question is when do you call yourself rich? I doubt there's anyone on boards who's rich. I'd class rich as above the law, a couple of hundred million at least, buy your way out of anything kind of money..

Most of us pay lots of tax and go from month to month. That's far from rich..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

tedpan wrote:
    The more important question is when do you call yourself rich? I doubt there's anyone on boards who's rich. I'd class rich as above the law, a couple of hundred million at least, buy your way out of anything kind of money..

Subjective question, I'd say there's a few rich people on boards, but I'd have a much lower threshold than you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That's what Jeeves is for.
    When even your butler looks down on the poor you know you've made it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

tedpan wrote: »

Most of us pay lots of tax and go from month to month. That's far from rich..

I see people for example in the motor thread , buying a car for 25/30k, for me this is a million miles (excuse the pun) from us, even the mere thought of 300/400 going out of our account every month for a car scares me.

Another example.. A guy I work with who is on a small bit more than me showed me his house yesterday himself and wife have built , its huge , ...its beautiful as well , I don't begrudge him one small bit, he works hard and so does his wife . but you can see they have had a bit of help from family to get it finished and will continue for many years .

But I wonder when the children come along will they struggle with the financial burden they have put on themselves .

So going back to the thread title a small bit, do I begrudge people for having a bigger house , better car ....I don't think so , I've grown up always being at breadline , living in estate ,so has my wife, I don't really know anything else, when I see a big house like my work mate what goes through my head is " how much heating is that house going to take, or trying to keep that clean!!!!

Advertisement