Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family History Pre-1860

Options
  • 15-12-2017 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've been researching family history for the past few years and now have got back as far as 1860. However, I've got a wall! I can't seem to find good records that go back earlier than that. I've mainlybisrd the census records and the departmental website. Before I look at paying foe it I wanted to exhaust the free options. Apologies if there is another thread with the same question but I couldn't see it. Please share the thread if you know. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you tried the parish records if RC? Many of them go back a little bit further.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Griffiths Valuation on askaboutireland and the tithe applotment books etc on genealogy.nationalarchives.ie along with the above suggestion of parish records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Quika

spurious wrote: »
    Have you tried the parish records if RC? Many of them go back a little bit further.

Is that the genealogy dot ie website? If so it only goes back to 1860. Thanks though. Any other ideas?

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Griffiths Valuation on askaboutireland and the tithe applotment books etc on genealogy.nationalarchives.ie along with the above suggestion of parish records.

Yeah I tried that too. They go to 1850 and couldn't find much there. But I will have another look again. Thanks! :-)

I think you should review our sticky. Church records can predate civil by up to 100 years.

The Tithes are 1820s/1830s and Griffiths covers 1848-1864.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Quika wrote: »
    Is that the genealogy dot ie website? If so it only goes back to 1860. Thanks though. Any other ideas?

No it's not, it's the RC parish records at the nli.ie site.

https://registers.nli.ie/

There are also transcriptions made by volunteers for each county for records, headstones, etc..

Thanks for both replies. I have read the sticky and found nothing further than I knew. My apologies, I also saw the nli website and got a lot from it but it is limited to 1860 (at least the history that I'm looking for). All the church records (RC) only really begin in 1850 after the synod of Thurles. I know the CofI records are better. My reason for a new thread on this topic was that I didn't see anything in what is already in the forum. I'm not new to researching but I'm new to this forum... so unless there is something that I'm missing I suppose that's all I can get. I should say that I'm looking for history in the Limericj/Cork/Tipperary area so again this is hit and miss..
    Once again though, I do genuinely appreciate you taking the time to reply so far...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If you'd like to give some specifics about the where, when and who you are researching people may be able to offer more advice on where else to search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There are plenty of RC records pre-dating 1850. Just a few random examples from the counties you mentioned:

St Mary's Limerick, records dating from 1745
    Thurles, Co. Tipp, dating from 1795
    Kilmurry, Co. Cork dating from 1786

If you'd been more specific initially, we could have been more helpful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Quika wrote: »
    I also saw the nli website and got a lot from it but it is limited to 1860 (at least the history that I'm looking for).

All the church records (RC) only really begin in 1850 after the synod of Thurles.

I'm looking for history in the Limericj/Cork/Tipperary area

The great majority of parish records in Tipperary and Limerick start between 1790 and 1820.

The synod of Thurles 1849 proposed the pro-forma registers, some parishes kept their old registers for many years. I agree that many records from earlier are poor and difficult to read, but we have to do our best with what we have.

If you are up against a brick wall on one branch of your ancestry, look at the other branches, you have plenty.

Study the local histories of the areas where your ancestors lived, get to know the ecclesiastical, political and administrative districts, they are all relevant to your research, for example the catholic parishes were / are also the basis for GAA clubs, which probably attracted your rural ancestors.

Read the local papers,or search them on "irishnewsarchive". If you wantto do this free, do so in your local public library.
    Read books on the area, the more familiar you become with the ancestral homelands, the more you will learn about your ancestors, and more jigsaw pieces will fall into place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement