Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones to solve particular problem

Options
  • 15-12-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

When I'm playing with others, PUBG for example, I always tend to have my headphones covering one ear only, as I struggle to balance my speech as the padding on my headphones deadens my speech so much.
    It feels really unnatural to not hear myself talk.
    This of course puts me at a disadvantage in games like PUBG where directional sound is so important.

Are there headphones available that pass through your speech somehow?

Is this actually a thing?

I currently use Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and a standalone mic which are amazing, but i can't hear myself!

Cheers for any advice, CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's called mic monitoring. Common enough on semi-decent headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Could try swapping the pleather pads for velour ones, on my HyperX Cloud my (aftermarket) velour pads seem to let more sound through (bonus: less problems with sweat build-up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

As awec said. Open back one's if you can't afford an expensive pair with mic monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Cheers lads.

I tried to do a workaround with setting the microphone to "Listen" so that it would repeat what it recorded.
    Big delay though, so that didn't work out so well.

Open back / mic monitoring it is. Any testimonials on a decent set? Budget sub €200?

Cheers,

CC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

cough cough*selling a deadly pair*cough cough. :v

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Cheers lads.

I tried to do a workaround with setting the microphone to "Listen" so that it would repeat what it recorded.
    Big delay though, so that didn't work out so well.

Open back / mic monitoring it is. Any testimonials on a decent set? Budget sub €200?

Cheers,

CC.

I have the same issue. But when it comes to recording footage, and turning on 'Listen to Device', I presume my voice is going to be picked up twice? Resulting in a voice echo post session.

I also have HyperX Headset. And I also, out of habit, have one earphone half over my ear. I am concious of my voice and my level, especially late at night.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

JustShay wrote: »
    I have the same issue. But when it comes to recording footage, and turning on 'Listen to Device', I presume my voice is going to be picked up twice? Resulting in a voice echo post session.

I also have HyperX Headset. And I also, out of habit, have one earphone half over my ear. I am concious of my voice and my level, especially late at night.

Any ideas?

There's software called Virtual Audio Cable (https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm) which can give you extra virtual audio channels to play with.

They also have other software called Voicemeeter Banana (https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm) which is essentially mixer software.

Between both of those or OBS or whatever you use to record, you could set it up so that you hear all audio channels including the listen to device, but only certain channels are sent to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

There's software called Virtual Audio Cable ( which can give you extra virtual audio channels to play with.

They also have other software called Voicemeeter Banana ( which is essentially mixer software.

Between both of those or OBS or whatever you use to record, you could set it up so that you hear all audio channels including the listen to device, but only certain channels are sent to record.

I use Voicemeeter to enhance the sound quality! But cheers for the tip. I will play around with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

JustShay wrote: »
    I use Voicemeeter to enhance the sound quality! But cheers for the tip. I will play around with it :)

Check this out, might help with the setup

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/voicemeeter-banana-audio-management-for-1-and-2-pc-streaming-setups.397/

• Advertisement
Advertisement