Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forming group of young entrepreneurs (DUBLIN)

• 14-12-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

planning to form a v small group of entrepreneurs in around the early/late 20's age group
    to discuss business ideas giving advice learning /teaching sharing real experiences and eventually growing into real business relationships if intended. the group will only be made up of people serious about business and progressing as entrepreneurs.

I am in my mid twenties just completing final phases of two start ups.
    one in the service industry and one in home improvement retail industry.
    with a long list of other ventures I am itching to get started.

Anybody with a similar mindset feel free to get in touch with me and leave some information about yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ohallod

bob ceedar wrote: »
    planning to form a v small group of entrepreneurs in around the early/late 20's age group
    to discuss business ideas giving advice learning /teaching sharing real experiences and eventually growing into real business relationships if intended. the group will only be made up of people serious about business and progressing as entrepreneurs.

I am in my mid twenties just completing final phases of two start ups.
    one in the service industry and one in home improvement retail industry.
    with a long list of other ventures I am itching to get started.

Anybody with a similar mindset feel free to get in touch with me and leave some information about yourself.[/quote

Hi Bob,

Interesting idea! I’ve been seriously thinking about setting up/investing in a business with a colleague of mine. We are in our early thirties and are both pharmacists. Opening a pharmacy in a carefully chosen location was our initial plan, however we want to be certain that we’ve considered all options before progressing. Failing this, I have a good contact who has a number of property investments and has recently opened a cafe which is proving to be very successful thus far.
    What do you see in the future plans for this group?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

bob ceedar wrote: »
    to discuss business ideas giving advice learning /teaching

Hi Bob,

Interesting idea! I’ve been seriously thinking about setting up/investing in a business with a colleague of mine. We are in our early thirties and are both pharod macists. Opening a pharmacy
    I have a good contact who has a number of property investments and has recently opened a cafe which is proving to be very successful thus far.

What do you see in the future plans for this group?

Ageism I would imagine.

Giving advice and learning , ( ?? what, with their decades of experience)

And if you can't figure out if you should open a pharmacy or a cafe, you probably could land one of this groups teaching jobs.

Bob Ceedar - are there any nationality or race requirements to join your band of merry idiots ?

Ageist post is ageist.

Ageism I would imagine.

And if you can't figure out if you should open a pharmacy or a cafe, you probably could land one of this groups teaching jobs.

Bob Ceedar - are there any nationality or race requirements to join your band of merry idiots ?

Ageist post is ageist.

If experience brings the kind of social justice baggage thats in this post, it would be for very good reason a more youthful group of enthusiastic and positive people would be far more preferable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Pete Tong

Ageism I would imagine.

Ageist post is ageist.

Got to agree with this.
    Even for myself, I was absolutely clueless when I was in my twenties compared to what I know now - having learnt it the hard way.

Why restrict by age?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Perhaps there are valid reasons why the OP decided to seek out twenty-something year olds?

There is substantial research to show that older entrepreneurs make up the majority of founders in successful ventures. As someone who built and killed a business for most of my twenties, I can now see how I could have benefited from an experienced mentor or peer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

El Rifle wrote: »
    If experience brings the kind of social justice baggage thats in this post, it would be for very good reason a more youthful group of enthusiastic and positive people would be far more preferable...

Well I’m no keyboard warrior El Rifle.

But this is the 2nd post in as many weeks with people coming into this group and basically asking “can the people who think they are business pro’s please come and join my new party” (with entry requirements).

I do find it kind of dumps on the forum ,and the wealth of experience here.

It can also (imho) be seen as selfish , that one would want to come in , take the cream of the group , and waltz off to make the world a better place.

If people find benefit from meeting in person then good for them , it’s just that the way it is delivered.

Lastly , we do have a little social responsibility to ask questions of these brand new ‘forward thinking leaders’ in the hope of saving people their hard earned money.
    As an example , I refer back to a post a month ago whereby advice was given to buy a catering van and give it a go (cost some many thousands I would say).

My bus stop is here . Back later

Well I’m no keyboard warrior El Rifle.

But this is the 2nd post in as many weeks with people coming into this group and basically asking “can the people who think they are business pro’s please come and join my new party” (with entry requirements).

I do find it kind of dumps on the forum ,and the wealth of experience here.

It can also (imho) be seen as selfish , that one would want to come in , take the cream of the group , and waltz off to make the world a better place.

If people find benefit from meeting in person then good for them , it’s just that the way it is delivered.

Lastly , we do have a little social responsibility to ask questions of these brand new ‘forward thinking leaders’ in the hope of saving people their hard earned money.
    As an example , I refer back to a post a month ago whereby advice was given to buy a catering van and give it a go (cost some many thousands I would say).

My bus stop is here . Back later

I just don't think there is any harm in what he is trying to do. There could be a good dynamic in a little group like that and many ideas could come out of it. And if they fail because they are inexperienced then so be it, they will get their experience from the failure. My opinion would be that its a better way to learn then perhaps if you don't do something because your advised not to do it. And in your twenties if your lucky you don't have the responsibilities of kids and mortgages which really completely change the dynamic of this kind of group. Much better to have like minded individuals at similar points in their life, even if they might be naive.

Advertisement