Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Odd noise on first few pull aways

Options
  • 14-12-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

An odd one for you.

I've an '05 CMax Diesel.

When i first pull away after starting, there's a short noise, that i can only describe as if you push a kitchen chair across tiles...like a scraping noise.

After i come to a stop, it does for the next 3 or 4 times i pull away and then disappears.

The car drives fine, it sounds like it's coming from underneath the car, maybe between the wheels. No other rattles or bangs (besides a slight thrum at 50kph from my front offside wheel bearings that need replaced!)

Any suggestions? As it's my first post, let me know what extra info you need.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Alternator belt slipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dirt or rust on discs from damp weather and gritted roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emergencylime

jca wrote: »
    Alternator belt slipping?

Thanks for reply, sounds too 'metallic' for belt i think

Dirt or rust on discs from damp weather and gritted roads.

It could be, but it's been doing it all year...not that we had a glorious summer...

If i pull away quickly, it only lasts for a split second, but if i creep it can last a couple of seconds. Goes up a note slightly as it fades. A strange one.

It had service today and i think they changed brake pads, so i'll report back if it's magically disappeared!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sounds like a brake issue, have you had a mechanic look at it?

Could be your pads are worn right down, I'd check ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Have seen this lots of times on various Fords, the noise at clutch bite point that you describe is almost certainly from your clutch. A new clutch and flywheel will fix it but you can also just ignore it, it won't cause any other issues in the short/medium term.

Have seen this lots of times on various Fords, the noise at clutch bite point that you describe is almost certainly from your clutch. A new clutch and flywheel will fix it but you can also just ignore it, it won't cause any other issues in the short/medium term.

That would make sense as I can't recall the noise when rolling on a decline with clutch pedal fully depressed / in N. Thanks!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Sounds like a brake issue, have you had a mechanic look at it?

Could be your pads are worn right down, I'd check ASAP.

Brakes were good, had no issues. Sounds like next poster has solved the mystery!

Advertisement