Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of adding another level to existing extension

Options
  • 14-12-2017 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I'm looking to see if anyone has been in a similar situation, I need a rough cost of adding another floor to an extension.

The extension was built on foundations that could support another story, we wanted the option just in case.
    now, a year after the extension is done, we're looking to build up.

Really all we need is materials, brick layer, small amounts of plumbing, plastering, wiring, roofing and window fitting.

I can do flooring, insulating, plaster boarding and so on myself. I'd essentially need a shell of an extension built with wiring, heating, plumbing and plastering.

when we originally built the extension it came to about 14k for materials, labor and kitting the place out with kitchen, bathroom and the rest so the cost was brought down a bit by my own work. The original extension was 36 square meters. The work was carried out by individual family friends so it took an eternity to get done since I couldn't pressure them. This time I'd want it done by one builder.

So if someone could give me an idea for adding an extra floor that's just a shell it'd be much appreciated. Hopefully someone has been in a similar situation!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

36m2 x €1000~~~??? + planning permission, building reg compliance drawings, demo existing roof, protection , breaking through to existing, works to existing etc

50k assuming you do all the work you say you going to do yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dord94

BryanF wrote: »
    36m2 x €1000~~~??? + planning permission, building reg compliance drawings, demo existing roof, protection , breaking through to existing, works to existing etc

50k assuming you do all the work you say you going to do yourself

Jesus really?
    I got the extension done for 14k, thats with kitting the whole place out. I didn't think adding another level would be so pricy! Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

dord94 wrote: »
    Jesus really?
    I got the extension done for 14k, thats with kitting the whole place out. I didn't think adding another level would be so pricy! Thanks for the reply.

Ok well when you have planning granted, arch & structural drawings complete. And have gotten 3+ quotes from builders, you can sit down a negotiate the work you want to do yourself and agree the costs with your preferred builder.

There is a big difference between doing work with free labour and getting a contractor in.

Advertisement