Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 8" fire tablet for £70

Options
  • 13-12-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭

I see Amazon have dropped the price (again) of their 8" fire HD tablet - 32Gb version to £70. Might be useful to someone coming up to Xmas.

The 16Gb version is reduced to £50.

Free delivery on both

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Great piece of kit for the price. Got one for my Dad as he is recovering from shoulder surgery, seems to be getting on fairly well with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bought one two weeks ago, very happy with it. Much better sound than the 7", happy with the screen too and seems fast browsing and good for videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I'm sickened.

Bought the 7" one last night, after a good while deliberating. Paid £50 for it, and now that's the price of the 8". And the 7" is gone down to £35.

Ya win some, ya lose some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Firblog

Would you not cancel the order, then re-order different one?

Firblog wrote: »
    Would you not cancel the order, then re-order different one?

Tried it, but they can't cancel the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tried it, but they can't cancel the order.
    If you cant do it online then get a call back and the agent might be able to cancel for you.

A couple of weeks ago I had 5 items ordered but after 6 days none of them had shipped and when I tried to cancel online I could only cancel one item as "the remaining items were at advanced processing/shipping stage". But I requested a call back and the agent was able to cancel the entire order for me.

Give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Is Amazon prime subscription a must if you have one of these? A lot of reviews seem to think so but don't say why.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

Is there lots of bloatware apps on these? Wondering whether to get the 16 gb or 32 gb.

Old Perry wrote: »
    Is Amazon prime subscription a must if you have one of these? A lot of reviews seem to think so but don't say why.
    Prime is pretty much useless here in Ireland. Most of the reviews are probably from people in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yellowbear wrote: »
    Is there lots of bloatware apps on these? Wondering whether to get the 16 gb or 32 gb.

About 12gb available to user on the 16gb Version. uSD card does mean 16gb version isn't too limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Old Perry wrote:

yellowbear wrote:

I just got one of these last week (16gb) and tbh I wouldn't say there's much bloatware on it if you planned on using Amazon's services but even so there is a tool on XDA to remove (really just disabling) apps called "Fire Utility Tool" that can also sideload the Google Play Store, unfortunately I had let my tablet update to 5.6.0 and I couldn't do anything other than that so if you want to remove stock apps and ads in the lockscreen etc you'll have to use the tool straight away with firmware 5.4.0.

muffler wrote: »
    If you cant do it online then get a call back and the agent might be able to cancel for you.

A couple of weeks ago I had 5 items ordered but after 6 days none of them had shipped and when I tried to cancel online I could only cancel one item as "the remaining items were at advanced processing/shipping stage". But I requested a call back and the agent was able to cancel the entire order for me.

Give it a go.

Thanks, but it was just that single item. That, and I assume because it's an Amazon product, it was not in short supply, it was easily processed for dispatch.

It's not the end of the world. It will get plenty of use anyway

DanC90 wrote: »
    I just got one of these last week (16gb) and tbh I wouldn't say there's much bloatware on it if you planned on using Amazon's services but even so there is a tool on XDA to remove (really just disabling) apps called "Fire Utility Tool" that can also sideload the Google Play Store, unfortunately I had let my tablet update to 5.6.0 and I couldn't do anything other than that so if you want to remove stock apps and ads in the lockscreen etc you'll have to use the tool straight away with firmware 5.4.0.

The intended use for the one I've ordered is mainly Youtube for my son. The Google Play Store would come in handy in the future so do you recommend I use the Fire Utility Tool first, and then update?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I'm sorry if this has been dealt with but can you get the Playstore and Google suite onto these devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

It needs a little bit of hacking. But its possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I'm sorry if this has been dealt with but can you get the Playstore and Google suite onto these devices?

I was pleasantly surprised to see it can do SkyGo, youtube and of course Netflix. Great yoke for the money imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bren2002 wrote: »
    It needs a little bit of hacking. But its possible.

Not even hacking. Install 4 items in a specific order and that's it. It's called sideloading.

I've done it now on 3 Kindles. 5 minutes each at most. Getting relatives to remember their Google password is about 2-3 hours extra work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Thanks OP, just ordered 2 x 7" 16gb with 2 cases for €120. Cracking value.

Do these come with Amazon advertising and if so can it be disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do these come with Amazon advertising and if so can it be disabled?

It's only on the lock screen so be nice and ask Amazon to remove them for free. Just say one or two of these things

"I'd like the special offers removed from the tablets as I'm giving them to the kids"
    OR
    "What are these adverts on the lock screen and how can I disable them"(They'll tell you they are because you choose Special Offers"
    I always say(I've bought Kindles, Fire's for myself and others) "But, I bought it AS A special offer, I thought that was the special offer"(Playing dumb)

They'll normally remove them then

Do this by chat, If you fail try again. Its £10 per device to remove them so a few minutes chancing your arm is worth the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Thanks for this the youngest smashed her tablet the other night and this is a great price !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

We have two of these, they are great devices for the price, and we're so happy with them I reckon Santa is bringing two more this Christmas. However, the reason that Amazon sell them so cheap is that they are hoping that you'll buy into all the prime add-ons they provide, so the lock-screens for example have ads for Amazon.

However, we've family Google Play and Netflix subscriptions so I sideloaded Google Play and was able to make it all work with one exception - Chromecast. Amazon seem to block the ability to connect to chromecasts, as they'd rather you buy the fire stick.

The children can still watch Netflix directly from the tablet, and we have an old Android phone that we use as a remote for the Chromecast anyway.

As others have noted, Prime is crap in Ireland, if it was on a par with the US I may well have signed up.

ectoraige wrote: »

As others have noted, Prime is crap in Ireland, if it was on a par with the US I may well have signed up.

Thanks , I guess what I meant is that without prime (id have no intention of subscribing) would you still be getting the most out of the tablet, some reviews I looked up quickly seemed to think that without prime the tablet would have less capabilities ie. google play and Netflix being blocked. I see now though there are easy fixes for this.

Hows the battery life and recharge?

Argos only seem to be price matching the 16gb unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Cant believe it I've a actually managed to put play store on the fire !! Big moment for a complete novice . kids think im the bees knees

also without prime can it be used as a decent ebook reader?

also without prime can it be used as a decent ebook reader?
    Yes. My wife reads all the time on it. There's even a different screen shade that you can switch to for night time reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Berty wrote: »
    Not even hacking. Install 4 items in a specific order and that's it. It's called sideloading.

I've done it now on 3 Kindles. 5 minutes each at most. Getting relatives to remember their Google password is about 2-3 hours extra work though.

utility or something else?
    trying to get aptoide on it now

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

seanin4711 wrote: »
    utility or something else?
    trying to get aptoide on it now

You just install the apks , there are instructions on the xda developers website.

Advertisement