Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Christmas Starters. Also sauce recommendation.

Options
  • 12-12-2017 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not a vegetarian myself but I want to do a few vegetarian starters this year. Any ideas? I know there are a tonne of ideas on Google but I'd prefer boardsies stamp of approval.

Also, does anybody know a good vegetarian gravy / sauce recipe? We're having monkfish for the main course. (Yes I know that's not vegetarian!) Would like a sauce to lather over it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd put a homemade hollandaise on the monkfish. Good butter, egg yolks, it's the sauce of kings, definitely Christmassy!
    Practice beforehand though if you've never done it before. 

Veggie starters, cold or hot? 
    I like to do antipasti for starters at christmas, before you can get all the bits in advance and it's just assembly which takes the pressure off. Looks great too for a group if you have a big platter.
    Olives, semi-sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, any grillled veg you like, tesco have these baby beetroot in a chilli marinade (sweet fire beetroot I think they call them). Pretty salad leaves, good bread, breadsticks. You can get fancy and do stuffed chillis etc, but I think that would be loads for me. Some prosecco with it, and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Does anywhere do trays of non-dairy vegetarian nibbles? Something I could just bung in the oven for people to snack on during the evening would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

kylith wrote: »
    Does anywhere do trays of non-dairy vegetarian nibbles? Something I could just bung in the oven for people to snack on during the evening would be great.

Aldi Have a Asian snack mix, red box in the frozen section, there are 3 different things, spring rolls, sweet and sour bags and one other thing but I cant remember what that is...

Advertisement