Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Issues

Options
  • 11-12-2017 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We are in a 10 year old house in an estate. The front door appears to be either wood or some sort of composite (I don't know how to tell which?). However the issue we are having is that the top of the door is no longer sitting against the frame properly. Its like the door has a bend/bow in it and its letting in a serious amount of air as a result. Its not the seal, I can literally get my baby finger between the door and the frame when fully closed

Does anyone know if the only option is replacement in a case like this or is there something that can be done? And if so who do we go to?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What type of locking system is on the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pics are probably easier as I don’t know?

And a finger reference for the gap

Oh and worth saying, it sealed decently when you pulled up the handle (not just closed it) last year but this year that doesn’t cut it anymore. That finger gap is with the handle lifted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The top hinge in the 4th photo looks to be seriously misaligned.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    The top hinge in the 4th photo looks to be seriously misaligned.

I actually just spotted that, I've been looking at the door from the outside:eek:

The top bolt in the locking system is not making contact with the receiver, try pushing the top corner of the door as you lift the handle to see will it catch. The door will need to be adjusted as it has probably shrunk across it's width

No difference when I press but I'll ask my husband to try tomorrow he might be stronger. Who does door adjustments? Am I looking for a company or a handyman?

The top bolt in the locking system is not making contact with the receiver, try pushing the top corner of the door as you lift the handle to see will it catch. The door will need to be adjusted as it has probably shrunk across it's width

tabby who do I contact for adjustments? Is it door and window companies? Does it need to be the original company?

tabby who do I contact for adjustments? Is it door and window companies? Does it need to be the original company?

Doesn't have to be the original company, a carpenter or door fitter should be able to sort it for you, if the door has shrunk across it's width , the hinges will have to be let out to move the door towards the locking mechanism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement