Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car...

Options
  • 11-12-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

At the moment I'm without a car. I've been told the car would need a new engine as one of the small end bearings inside the engine broke, leaving the car with a loud noise from a piece of metal rattling under the bonnet. Thus, being cheaper to put a second hand or reconditioned engine in the car. As I know the mechanic, he said he would go easy on me with for the price of the labour putting the engine in.

I'm looking for a new car as I need a car for travelling the long distance to work. Public transport isn't possible. I have been advised to get a new car as they provide some excellent deals.

What advice would you give?
    How much would I get for the car now? It's a 2008 ford focus, 1.8. After pricing an engine, including the labour putting it in it could set me back 1200 euro.

Would I be able to give this car to scrappage and put it off a deposit for a car on finance? Or fix the car and sell it privately and get a credit union loan and go for a new car that way?

Any advice would be really appreciated. (sorry for all the questions) :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your car is worth nothing as it stands. It might be cheaper long term to just have it repaired unless you just want to cut your losses on it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stick it up for auction as is and see what you get, you may be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The scrappage deals against new cars can be a bit of a con. Alot of them charge higher interest if availing of the scrappage so the deals can be zero percent finance or 4k scrappage with finance at 5.9 percent.
    They may not all be that way so worth checking out but be wary!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 americano1

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your car is worth nothing as it stands. It might be cheaper long term to just have it repaired unless you just want to cut your losses on it.

You reckon get the engine fixed, drive and sell it? I had a quick look on done deal, and with the car being nct’d for 2 years and taxed until June 2018, the value of the car is estimated 3500. Obviously, I’d have to put it up myself and determine what others would pay.

awec wrote: »
    Stick it up for auction as is and see what you get, you may be surprised.

Somebody said auctioning was a bit of hassle, I don’t have any experience in auctioning, unfortunately!

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    The scrappage deals against new cars can be a bit of a con. Alot of them charge higher interest if availing of the scrappage so the deals can be zero percent finance or 4k scrappage with finance at 5.9 percent.
    They may not all be that way so worth checking out but be wary!

Is it possible to pay a good chunk of the cost of the car outright and pay the balance in finance from the car company?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

americano1 wrote: »
    You reckon get the engine fixed, drive and sell it? I had a quick look on done deal, and with the car being nct’d for 2 years and taxed until June 2018, the value of the car is estimated 3500. Obviously, I’d have to put it up myself and determine what others would pay.

Is getting it fixed and keeping it for another year or two an option? Get some value from the cost of repairing it. As it stands a broken Ford Focus is worth nothing.

Is getting it fixed and keeping it for another year or two an option? Get some value from the cost of repairing it. As it stands a broken Ford Focus is worth nothing.

That’s what I was thinking, maybe get a credit union loan and for a new car, fix the old one and drive it around until the new year, and potentially get a new car on finance. Somebody told me the same thing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I got €1500 for my broken ford focus at auction recently. Had an unknown issue with the engine, was pretty much undriveable.

Advertisement