Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying directly from Apple V buying from iConnect?

Options
  • 11-12-2017 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to buy myself an iPhone 8 this week. I had been planning on buying directly from Apple, but as I have a 500 Euro One4All voucher to spend, I think I will buy from iConnect or similiar so that I can use the voucher instead of directly from Apple. For any warranty issues, will this have any effect? Will I still be able to go directly to Apple with an issue rather than going back to iConnect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

no and yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

shanec1928 wrote: »
    no and yes

Exactly as I thought. Just wanted to double check before I pulled the trigger, thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can go back t Apple with issues in the first 12 months. After that, though, your contract is with iConnect and any dealing with issues has to be done through them, not Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just wondering why people would think their warranty on buying an Apple product would be affected by buying in a store?

You always have a manufacturer's warranty with any product you buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just wondering why people would think their warranty on buying an Apple product would be affected by buying in a store?

You always have a manufacturer's warranty with any product you buy.

Yeah but manufacturer's warranty lasts 1 year. After that year if you have problems you have to bring it back to the seller, as whiterebel said. Some (most?) sellers will plead total ignorance and tell you its not their problem, forcing you to go to the small claims court. So who you buy it from does make a difference.

I don't have any experience with iConnect, so I don't know what they are like in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah but manufacturer's warranty lasts 1 year. After that year if you have problems you have to bring it back to the seller, as whiterebel said. Some (most?) sellers will plead total ignorance and tell you its not their problem, forcing you to go to the small claims court. So who you buy it from does make a difference.

I don't have any experience with iConnect, so I don't know what they are like in this regard.

With this in mind, does anybody know what Argos are like with issues after a year? It would be easier for me to pick one up in Argos over iConnect

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

My Apple Watch packed it in after about 18 months. I had originally bought it directly from the Apple UK website. I took it into Compub for repair and they told me that, because it was still within the 2 year EU warranty period, I could get it repaired/replaced for free, as long as I had the original receipt from Apple. I ended up getting a refurb unit for free, after about a week.

I don't know if this is standard procedure, or limited to items purchased directly from Apple, but it seems like the authorised resellers / repair centres will sort you out if you encounter any issues after year one. Just be sure to keep that receipt!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    My Apple Watch packed it in after about 18 months. I had originally bought it directly from the Apple UK website. I took it into Compub for repair and they told me that, because it was still within the 2 year EU warranty period, I could get it repaired/replaced for free, as long as I had the original receipt from Apple. I ended up getting a refurb unit for free, after about a week.

I don't know if this is standard procedure, or limited to items purchased directly from Apple, but it seems like the authorised resellers / repair centres will sort you out if you encounter any issues after year one. Just be sure to keep that receipt!

You got a replacement from the UK warranty, there's no 2 year EU warranty in Ireland. Our consumer law has better protection so we never implemented the 2 year warranty, if you buy from an Irish store you have up to 6 years for issues.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Del2005 wrote: »
    You got a replacement from the UK warranty, there's no 2 year EU warranty in Ireland. Our consumer law has better protection so we never implemented the 2 year warranty, if you buy from an Irish store you have up to 6 years for issues.

They were going to replace it before I even mentioned the UK store, so I guess it was under the Irish warranty then. They mentioned EU, but perhaps they mis-spoke. Regardless, it was covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I would suggest talking the AppleCare extended warranty for a brand new IPhone 8 I have had one ion my 6S plus and my 6 before it, haven’t had to use it on my plus but did use it on my 6 as screen backlight started to fail. I know it’s extra money but I think you can take it out within a month of purchasing it. Well worth it imho!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

UK use their Sale of Goods Act as well, not the 2 year EU warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

In Compu B - the form says European Consumer law. I told the guys at the shop that its been 4 years since I purchased and it should go under Irish Consumer law.

He Said Apple use this European template and everything is fine. So in the backend of things, Apple seem fine - the forms are just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

BDJW wrote: »
    I'm going to buy myself an iPhone 8 this week. I had been planning on buying directly from Apple, but as I have a 500 Euro One4All voucher to spend, I think I will buy from iConnect or similiar so that I can use the voucher instead of directly from Apple. For any warranty issues, will this have any effect? Will I still be able to go directly to Apple with an issue rather than going back to iConnect?

Looking at IPads myself - and there is a fair bit in the difference in price between Irish and Uk right now...
    Amazon & Currys.co.uk- 330 pounds (370 euros)
    Currys.ie, Apple.ie and all the Irish online or shops = 420 Euros

about 15% off then from uk - that's more than the tax difference. Oneforall works with amazon.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement