Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% off Tado Smart Thermostats

Options
  • 11-12-2017 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

20% off all Tado Starter Kits

Expires 31st Dec

https://www.tado.com/ie/

Great smart thermostat, I've had mine a few years now.

Compatible with IFTTT, alexa, apple homekit etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭macker64

Excellent, thank you kindly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is this similar to hive, nest etc?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

kceire wrote: »

Yes, in some ways more advanced.

In addition to supporting multiple zones and hot water zones (with an optional accessory) like the above, it also supports Smart TRV's which looks pretty cool. You can then control the temperature of individual rooms.

Just a pity you non of the Gas companies in Ireland sell it or have a deal on it like Nest/Hive/Netatmo have.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

Yes indeed, works on location from your phone.

You can also zone your heating using the radiator valves

You'll need the extension kit if you want it to control hot water

bk wrote: »
    Yes, in some ways more advanced.

In addition to supporting multiple zones and hot water zones (with an optional accessory) like the above, it also supports Smart TRV's which looks pretty cool. You can then control the temperature of individual rooms.

Just a pity you non of the Gas companies in Ireland sell it or have a deal on it like Nest/Hive/Netatmo have.
    Yes indeed, works on location from your phone.

You can also zone your heating using the radiator valves

You'll need the extension kit if you want it to control hot water

Cheers.
    My heating is current in 2 zones.
    1. Rads
    2. Hot water.

So I’d need the thermostat,
    And another product?

• Advertisement

Cheers.
    My heating is current in 2 zones.
    1. Rads
    2. Hot water.

So I’d need the thermostat,
    And another product?

Yes the extension kit but only if you need to control hot water remotely or don't have a wired thermostat:

"The Extension Kit enables you to control your hot water. It is also needed to connect the tado° Smart Thermostat to your heating system if there is no room thermostat or if you have a wireless room thermostat. The Extension Kit works then as a wireless receiver for the heating system."

Yes the extension kit but only if you need to control hot water remotely or don't have a wired thermostat:

"The Extension Kit enables you to control your hot water. It is also needed to connect the tado° Smart Thermostat to your heating system if there is no room thermostat or if you have a wireless room thermostat. The Extension Kit works then as a wireless receiver for the heating system."

I have a wired room stat on my first floor landing.
    I also have a wired cylinder stat on the hot water cylinder.

Thanks for th info.

I have a wired room stat on my first floor landing.
    I also have a wired cylinder stat on the hot water cylinder.

Thanks for th info.

You'd probably be fine with just the thermostat so.

I've pretty much the same setup, I only got the extension kit as we were away allot of weekends at the time and I kept forgetting to turn off the hot water before we left.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have 3 zones (2 for rads and 1 for hot water). Is it possible to run this for just one zone and let the others still work the old fashioned way? One of the zones is a flat, so would like to keep that independent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

lots of info about all the options here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057758281

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Could you install this yourself or need a plumber/electrician?

kungfual wrote: »
    Could you install this yourself or need a plumber/electrician?

Depends on your level of experience/confidence.

It's no more complicated than replacing a socket and tado provide custom instructions on your system and where to put each wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Am I right in thinking the extension kit allows you to wire two zones (water and heating). The thermostat/app allows you to controll these zones seperately and then you can get the smart TRVs to create as many heating zones as you want? I've a climote currently but it's lack of smarts is annoying and I like the idea of the smart TRV's to create heating zones.

unklerosco wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the extension kit allows you to wire two zones (water and heating). The thermostat/app allows you to controll these zones seperately and then you can get the smart TRVs to create as many heating zones as you want? I've a climote currently but it's lack of smarts is annoying and I like the idea of the smart TRV's to create heating zones.

Yep that's correct.

If you just get the smart thermostat it replaces your current thermostat and you leave the programmer for the heating to "always on".

If you get the extension kit it replaces the programmer and then allows you to control hot water from the app.

Haven't got any smart TRV's myself but that's how they're supposed to work alright. They're only for replacing current TRV heads so quick setup. I might look into them again next year.

Like all these things everyone's mileage will vary. I work shift work so am definitely saving money compared to having the previous thermostat with it's fixed on off times and manually set temperature.

The app is constantly getting new updates, the only major problem I've ever had was getting my wife's phone (S7) setup fully with location detection but that's samsung fault. Took a few goes of messing with settings but working perfectly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fergalc

Yep that's correct.

The app is constantly getting new updates, the only major problem I've ever had was getting my wife's phone (S7) setup fully with location detection but that's samsung fault. Took a few goes of messing with settings but working perfectly now.

I've an S7 and have just purchased the Tado Smart Thermostat along with the Extension Kit and Smart TRV's. Going to fit them after Christmas. What issues did you encounter when setting up the S7 and how did you fix them?

Best regards, F

Samsung battery optimisation instructions here: https://support.tado.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004047643

General instructions here: https://support.tado.com/hc/en-gb/articles/202194135-What-are-the-smartphone-settings-for-optimal-location-based-control-

EDIT: It says in the second link it recommends "high accuracy" location but I've used "battery saving" location without any issue though that may depend on your phone. They've also added a setting in the last week that identifies when you're connected to your home WiFi network, I assume as a fallback for location glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Went to purchase this today and had a look on amazon.. Turns out it's a heck of a lot cheaper on amazon, not sure if it's part of the sales but the starter kit works out at just under €160 on amazon v €199 direct from Tado.. it's out of stock on amazon but should be back in soon. The extension kit is also much cheaper on Amazon too..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MG5BION/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Advertisement