Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are any MRI scanners in Dublin fitted with loudspeakers/headphones for music?

Options
  • 11-12-2017 8:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

I might be going for an MRI scan privately in the next couple of months because of a possible tumor at the back of my head affecting my hearing and spine.

Anyways, from reading a lot of posts about MRI experiences on Reddit, people say that before they attended an appointment, they were sent a letter detailing everything which also said that they could bring a music CD which would allow them to listen to their songs.

Is this the case for any of the MRI machines here in Dublin or even Ireland? I know most people online would be from the UK or US and they have significantly more machines than we do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

It's pretty standard for them to play the radio for you while having an mri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I might be going for an MRI scan privately in the next couple of months because of a possible tumor at the back of my head affecting my hearing and spine.

Anyways, from reading a lot of posts about MRI experiences on Reddit, people say that before they attended an appointment, they were sent a letter detailing everything which also said that they could bring a music CD which would allow them to listen to their songs.

Is this the case for any of the MRI machines here in Dublin or even Ireland? I know most people online would be from the UK or US and they have significantly more machines than we do.

I would imagine they all have this feature. I had mri done in James hospital and they gave me headphones in the scanner so I could listen to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

Had one done in Hermitage. They played radio over headphones to me. MRI is really loud...could only half hear the music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

I would imagine they all have this feature. I had mri done in James hospital and they gave me headphones in the scanner so I could listen to music.

But was that just radio or could they put any music through a USB, CD/DVD, Internal hard drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

You're not gonna be in there for that long and its not loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

Kuva wrote: »
    You're not gonna be in there for that long and its not loud.

You will, and it is.

Bon Secours in Glasnevin gave me headphones which played 98fm. I had a limited choice of stations if I recall. Definitely made the process easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You will, and it is.
    It's all relative, I personally didn't find it either of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

Alun wrote: »
    It's all relative, I personally didn't find it either of those.

Fair enough. I'm not what I would consider claustrophobic, and I felt like it took an age. Does depend on the body part imaged, +/- contrast etc. too I suppose.

Maybe I've sensitive ears, but I thought it was very very loud. As you said though, all relative.

All said, glad I had the earphones.

Yay! Going for one in St Vincent's on Friday!

My psychiatrist told me that there's a difference between the private St Vincent's department and the public one. Is that true or do you just go through the main entrance and up the elevators?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

St. Vincent's public and St. Vincent's private hospitals are two completely separate buildings on the same site, but not sure if the private hospital has it's own scanners or uses the ones in the public hospital.

• Advertisement

So I got scanned on March 23rd but haven't received the report from my consultant psychiatrist. I heard this is a common thing. Should I chase him down for it?

I don't know if they usually supply the images on a CD but hopefully they do because my mother received hers in the States before she came here. Do I have to go through a FOIA request?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

So I got scanned on March 23rd but haven't received the report from my consultant psychiatrist. I heard this is a common thing. Should I chase him down for it?

I don't know if they usually supply the images on a CD but hopefully they do because my mother received hers in the States before she came here. Do I have to go through a FOIA request?

Maybe if you paid your bill it might help!

Advertisement