Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change from goods to vintage status.

Options
  • 10-12-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine bought an estate that had the seats removed and was regd as goods. He has now replaced the seats and wants to reg it as vintage but is being told that it will need to be doe'd. Anyone knows how he gets it regd as private vintage and nctd instead of doe'd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

If it's 30 years or older it will qualify for Vintage tax automatically when he goes to renew the road tax. It will be also NCT-exempt if it was first registered before January 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Thanks for your reply Silvera, the car is 87 and has just passed 30 years. Not sure if the tax office has it wrong or what but they told him that it would need to be doe;d before it could be taxed. This is the first time taxing in the owners name as he has just acquired it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

shawnee wrote: »
    A friend of mine bought an estate that had the seats removed and was regd as goods.

In terms of its taxation class it will come under 'vintage' once it reaches 30 years old from date of first registration.

However if the vehicle is registered as a commercial at the moment, it is still a commercial vehicle that is just taxed as 'vintage', the same as on old Transit van would be. for instance

Its registration class is commercial and its taxation class is vintage.

Having a registration class that is different to your taxation class is more common than you would think, it happens regularly with modern vehicles, eg: light commercials used for private use, hearse not used by and undertaker, a taxi or limo, etc...

At the moment there is still no test exemption for commercial vehicles over 30 years old, however with the new regulations there will be an exemption for old commercials in May 2018.

If the vehicle was to be re registered as a 'Private' vehicle it will then be exempt from its NCT test, and still have the same vintage tax rate.

Last time I changed a vehicle registration class (going from private to commercial) it was inspected at the locla motor tax office.

Details are here: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeVehicleDetails.do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Testacalda wrote: »
    In terms of its taxation class it will come under 'vintage' once it reaches 30 years old from date of first registration.

However if the vehicle is registered as a commercial at the moment, it is still a commercial vehicle that is just taxed as 'vintage', the same as on old Transit van would be. for instance

Its registration class is commercial and its taxation class is vintage.

Having a registration class that is different to your taxation class is more common than you would think, it happens regularly with modern vehicles, eg: light commercials used for private use, hearse not used by and undertaker, a taxi or limo, etc...

At the moment there is still no test exemption for commercial vehicles over 30 years old, however with the new regulations there will be an exemption for old commercials in May 2018. Current NCT exemption is for pre 1980 , 30 to 40 yr old, 2 yearly NCT applies.

If the vehicle was to be re registered as a 'Private' vehicle it will then be exempt from its NCT test, and still have the same vintage tax rate.

Last time I changed a vehicle registration class (going from private to commercial) it was inspected at the locla motor tax office.

Details are here: https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeVehicleDetails.do

the exemption from 5/18 will be for vehicles 40+ yrs of age. 2 yr CVRT applies from 30 to 40 yrs old. All subject to the vehicle not being used commercially. In other words, both commercial and private vintage will be treated the same.

shawnee wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Silvera, the car is 87 and has just passed 30 years. Not sure if the tax office has it wrong or what but they told him that it would need to be doe;d before it could be taxed. This is the first time taxing in the owners name as he has just acquired it.

It will need to have a CVRT before it can be taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Isambard wrote: »
    It will need to have a CVRT before it can be taxed.

Thanks for the info. I suppose it is unusual. Is a cvrt test another name for the doe ?

it's not called the DoE any more. It's CVRT now. I've a 87 Camper, taxed Vintage, tested commercial. Next test due next summer and I'll be getting two years yay! Unlike cars, you can't tax a commercial without getting it tested first (which is how cars should be too really)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Isambard wrote: »
    the exemption from 5/18 will be for vehicles 40+ yrs of age. 2 yr CVRT applies from 30 to 40 yrs old.

Correct, I forgot about that

Advertisement