Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you debt averse?

Options
  • 10-12-2017 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

In this day and age being in debt is a necessary evil for the average working person but its avoidable too, including mortgage debt. I'm debt averse, as due to my circumstances I was raised on half nothing but with a strong work ethic and it has stood to me. I guess I appreciated the money and things I had because I worked for it and never got anything handed to me on a plate. I recognise that mortgage debt is a necessity for many but repayments on smaller loans can really be expensive. Im in the fortunate position that I dont worry about money, I'm far from being well off I can assure you but I'm in my mid 30's and own my own car and house outright. And I would be a worrier by nature. I dont like owing people money. So for my wellbing both financially and health wise being debt averse has worked well for me. Hearing a friend complain about his credit card debt got me thinking about this. He's on a good wage but always seems to be skint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

"neither a borrower nor a lender be".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"For loan oft loses both itself and friend".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The nuns beat the evils of 'tick' into me early.
    If I can't afford it, I can't have it. If I really want it, then I will have to save up.
    I don't owe anyone anything. Even the credit card company never get any interest off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Apart from a modest mortgage I have never has any loans. Like the OP, we had not much growing up and were taught to save for things. So, never a loan but save up for whatever was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m totally debt averse. The “only” debt I have is the mortgage on my house and we are working to pay this off asap. I always pay my credit card bill off in full every month and have never taken out a loan. I don’t even like borrowing 2 Euro off someone. My motto is if I can’t afford to buy something with my own money I don’t buy it until I can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Small mortgage bought before the latest boom. No debts or credit cards. Get in line ladies!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never had a loan myself, dont even have a credit card. Need to get one to build up a credit score because using a debit card responsibly counts for nothing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Other than the mortgage, and the occasional small amount on the Credit Card, thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Never had a loan myself, dont even have a credit card. Need to get one to build up a credit score because using a debit card responsibly counts for nothing.

You don't need to have a credit score, from the likes of CC usage, in this country.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You don't need to have a credit score, from the likes of CC usage, in this country.

Really? Ive been told otherwise, but I'm pretty ignorant about it!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I have no debt yet I was turned down by DFS for an interest free loan because I basically don’t exist on the credit scoring system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have found that financial conservatism is one of the building blocks for a happy life.

It is only one however. You need to work at other stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Why spend my money when I can spend the banks?

For the last 5 or so years I've picked up a new credit card each year for some large purchases e.g. car insurance, electronics, furniture etc.
    Most cards come with 12 - 15 months interest free on purchases. Make the purchase, pay it off within the time frame while still adding to my own savings lump. It takes a bit of management and discipline but it's free money while leaving the rainy day fund untouched.

I'll be drawing down a mortgage soon, that's a bit scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm totally debt averse. I've never borrowed anything and I'd sooner rent for life than borrow several hundred thousand to buy a house. I've always been more of a saver than a spender.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I have a large but manageable mortgage, no loans or anything owed on the credit card.

If I want to upgrade the car or apartment I rent out a couple of rooms for a year or so beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

RayM wrote: »
    I've never borrowed anything and I'd sooner rent for life than borrow several hundred thousand to buy a house.

sounds like you are a monk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aegir wrote: »
    I have no debt yet I was turned down by DFS for an interest free loan because I basically don’t exist on the credit scoring system.

When I moved bank I ran into this problem too. There must not be many of us with no debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'd be similar to you, OP. I did have a car loan once but paid it off within about three months. I had the money saved anyway but thought I'd prefer to keep the saved money and spread the payments for the car. Just hated seeing the money coming out of my account every month so paid it off.

Never had a loan since. Will probably end up with a mortgage alright (renting now) but plan to put down a pretty big deposit and overpay as much as I can to get it paid off sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i have a mortgage but otherwise no debts
    no loan , credit cards or overdraft

credit is enslavement...

I understand for business but regular man - f that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I own my house and car too.
    I took out CU loans for my kids college education as they didn't qualify for any grants. I will have them paid off at the end of 2018 thankfully.
    I have a very small and manageable loan for house repair which will end in 2 years.
    Then I intend taking lots of holidays to the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

arayess wrote: »
    sounds like you are a monk

Not quite, but I'd rather live like one while saving for a car or a holiday or whatever than take out a loan.

I’ve no debts, never even accrued interest on my credit card.
    RayM wrote: »
    I'm totally debt averse. I've never borrowed anything and I'd sooner rent for life than borrow several hundred thousand to buy a house. I've always been more of a saver than a spender.
    I used to think as you do but being kicked out of my apartment rental after 6 years has driven me towards looking to buy. There’s just no security for renters in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I always buy my cars in cash and slip the consultant an extra 50 when the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Karsini wrote: »
    I’ve no debts, never even accrued interest on my credit card.

I used to think as you do but being kicked out of my apartment rental after 6 years has driven me towards looking to buy. There’s just no security for renters in this country.

Renting is a broken system for renters and landlords in Ireland.

I expect it will change in time but I wouldn't bet my future peace of mind on it.

When you don't have the earning power to pay the rent you will need a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

elperello wrote: »
    Renting is a broken system for renters and landlords in Ireland.

I expect it will change in time but I wouldn't bet my future peace of mind on it.

When you don't have the earning power to pay the rent you will need a plan.

No evidence of a broken system. In fact it is getting ever bigger.

https://www.businessworld.ie/news-from-ireland/Record-number-of-people-renting-in-Ireland-569895.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Do not fully agree on the home improvement thing.

We got a home improvement loan, we bought the house cash and it needed work. We effectively improved the value of the house by updating the wiring and plumbing and fixed a few problems that would turn the majority of buyers off.
    Absolutely worth it.
    If it's something that can really increase the value of the house, there's nothing wrong with it. The house didn't even have a working heating system and we fitted a zoned one with a high efficiency boiler.
    But if that's only for a bathroom remodelling or a new kitchen, then I'd see it as an unnecessary burden.

Other than that loan, no debts. No credit card, no car loan, no anything.
    Building up our rainy day fund in the new year because the house purchase and the renovation left us pretty much broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I never borrow a penny off anyone, and I'm close to paranoid about even the possibility of being in debt. When we were growing up my parents got all our stuff on finance, but the interest rate they were on was ****ing mental, 400% or something and they never paid it off, but they paid 30 pounds a week every week without fail for basically as long as I remember from my childhood. So I just avoid stuff on finance as a rule (dunno if a bill pay phone counts) or borrowing cash or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Absolutely debt averse. Always saved for stuff. Parents had little growing up and never got in on credit cards or car loans or anything. Hated oweing money, everything had to be bought outright or do without it. It rubbed off on me and I'm still the same.

Paid back my credit card 100% every bill for years til I bought an expensive holiday with it once and dropped it to 50% repayments to make it easier. I'd rarely have more than a couple of hundred on it at any one time. Cars are always old and my own. Electronics, phones, I buy outright. I'm a sucker for a fancy new fangled TV every few years, I usually save most of the cost before buying.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,453 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To me modest debt plus a mortgage which is backed by the underlying property value is fine, and allows people to manage their affairs reasonably efficiently. I first got into debt in my 20s, and by the time I was 30 I was measuring it by reference to how much of next year's salary I had spent. After that I became much more "regimented" in my approach to debt but it was probably another decade before I felt I was in "net credit" (although I did have a pension working for me in the background, I never really started valuing that until the last few years)

I paid off my final mortgage earlier this year, and could have done so a few years earlier, but as it was a tracker the interest I was paying was not much. I have not had any other debt for at least 10 years, paying off credit cards monthly and investing further into pensions and other investments. I'll probably retire around or just after 60 (not very far off now!) and should have plenty to maintain my quality of life as well as provide a start to adult life for my kids.

I've been fortunate in some ways, but equally I've always tried to keep my debt manageable, while investing for the future as I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

We did have a lit of debt. We had loans and credit card debt. I reckon the whole amount came to around €30k. Slowly but surely over a number of years we paid it off. In the past month we paid off the last credit card and tgey all have been cancelled so now apart from our mortgage we have no debt. We will never have credit cards again. I have become a much better saver - my focus is buying when we have the money saved and not instant gratification.

Advertisement